DHCP Scope depleted via Syslog?

Solved
Prodrick
Building a reputation

DHCP Scope depleted via Syslog?

Who might be able or deny if Meraki MX make a syslog entry when either the DHCP Scope is depleted or when it cannot lease an IP to a client due to lack of available IPs?

I know there is an endpoint that provides this, but at scale it's too expensive to use against the Dashboard API rate limits.

Example API output.  Can some provide a related event message example from the syslog?

Thanks so much.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 11.24.22 AM.png

1 Accepted Solution
sungod
Head in the Cloud

5 Replies 5
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi, 

Easy to test. Created a /30. Plugged a couple devices and captured the MX screaming these logs : 

RaphaelL_0-1701195003418.png

Done on MX18.107.6

sungod
Head in the Cloud

I'd assume the "dhcp no offers" syslog event might also trigger. See...

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Syslog_Event_Types_...

Prodrick
Building a reputation

Thanks.  Based on this I found the event.  

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 1.52.41 PM.png

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Also note that the "free count" that the API returns fails to take into account DHCP reservations.  So it is very possible to have a "freeCount" and to have no DHCP addresses available.

You can test this easily by creating a DHCP scope, and then reserving the whole thing.

Prodrick
Building a reputation

Thanks.  This helps me to understand what I might be looking at where I'm seeing "dhcp no offers" in the syslog but the following endpoint shows a freeCount of 29.

https://api.meraki.com/api/v1/devices/[Serial]/appliance/dhcp/subnets

[{"subnet":"10.0.25.0/24","vlanId":0,"usedCount":224,"freeCount":29}]

I'm seeing this "dhcp no offers" event for the same mac address about every minute directly preceded by the following event types:

"wpa_auth"
"association"
"disassociation"
"association"
"wpa_auth"
"disassociation"

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.