Create l3 firewall Rules?

SOLVED
NesAlba
Here to help

Create l3 firewall Rules?

Is there a way to create L3 firewall rules using API?

I am trying to migrate one Checkpoint FW to a Meraki MX, and I have a CSV file with the firewall rules.

The documentation only shows GET and Update firewall rules

NesAlba_0-1677633263800.png

Any idea?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The only way is to do a GET to a file, edit it by adding the new rule and then perform the PUT, that is, there is no other way.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The only way is to do a GET to a file, edit it by adding the new rule and then perform the PUT, that is, there is no other way.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ByronZ
Getting noticed

You will have to convert the existing firewall rule from your csv into json format and use the API's update PUT operation to apply the firewall rules. If you are not sure what fields are needed in the json file, you can find one by doing a GET to retrieve it from the MX.

Frank-NL
Getting noticed

Hi as mentioned get the current rules, add your own and update:

In python that will be something like this:
l3Settings = dashboard.appliance.getNetworkApplianceFirewallL3FirewallRules(<network_id>)
# print (l3Settings['rules'])  <-- add your rules

# Update:
response = dashboard.appliance.updateNetworkApplianceFirewallL3FirewallRules(<network_id>, rules=l3Settings['rules'])

sungod
Head in the Cloud

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.