Create API to Ping a Device

Solved
ETS
Comes here often

Create API to Ping a Device

Hello,

I want to know if you can create an API to send 1 ping every 60 seconds to an IP address.

I have some sites to don't create enough "interesting traffic" over the VPN tunnel to keep it up.

Our Meraki rep suggested looking into an API.

1 Accepted Solution
Nash
Kind of a big deal

I like @ww's idea of adding an IP to the traffic shaping.

Alternately, you could setup a script on a device on your side that runs every minute and pings an IP on the remote side.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Dont  know if this works, but maybe you can add a remote ip  to the uplink statistics at  the traffic shaping config.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

I like @ww's idea of adding an IP to the traffic shaping.

Alternately, you could setup a script on a device on your side that runs every minute and pings an IP on the remote side.

ETS
Comes here often

Thanks for the assistance, I currently have a batch file on a local PC at each site that is having the issue but if the PC is turned off it stops working, I added my internal IP to traffic shaping; I will monitor and report back if the problem persists.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Another trick I have used is to configure a protocol like ntp on a printer and point it at an IP at the remote site.  Doesn't matter that it doesn't work (doesn't even matter if the remote IP is in use) - it causes regular small amounts of traffic to be generated.

ETS
Comes here often

I added the address to traffic shaping but it only worked for 24 hrs before it dropped again.

I will stick with the local ping batch file until Meraki implements a "keep-alive" option.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.