Cloning MX Firewall and Content rules

MMoss
Building a reputation

Cloning MX Firewall and Content rules

I known this can be done via API, but I've had very little time to parse the standard Google Searches and see what will and won't work for me and avoid someone trying to slip something in a piece of code. I'm paranoid just a little bit hehe. Does anyone have a code prepared in Python or Node Red? I know the basics of Python, and nothing for JS, but it seems pretty readable. I'd like to learn it myself, but in the meantime I'll settle for any handouts willing to be offered up.

8 REPLIES 8
Nash
Kind of a big deal

I'd check out the Meraki github repo. Specifically export_mx_l3.py and import_mx_l3.py.

If you need to extend to include L7, you could use those scripts as a basis for that.

CBurkhead
Building a reputation

I have an interactive Python script that will copy default and/or group content filtering settings from one network to another/many networks. It may not be as automated as you might need, but it does have all the parts necessary to copy content filters. Let me know if you are interested in seeing it.

MMoss
Building a reputation

@CBurkhead That sounds good to me, I don't need to have it do all the work for me, but entering them all by hand and making sure that each change is done is so time consuming.

MMoss
Building a reputation

@Nash Nice, I didn't realize there was a Meraki Repo on Github, I'll save those and go though them tomorrow. I'll take a look at the other code listed under the Meraki root as well. Is this maintained by Meraki or is it a 3rd party? I don't know a whole lot about GitHub unfortunately. 

Nash
Kind of a big deal

@MMoss I linked the official Meraki repo. 

Hi @CBurkhead 

, i would love to see your cloning script if you have it available?

boundless-digit
Getting noticed

I'm working on an app to let you do exactly this:

- Save common Firewall rules

- reuse them later to deploy to more networks

- compare rules between networks to check differences.

I'd be happy to allow you a demo access if you don't mind providing feedback?

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 3.51.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-18 at 3.52.04 PM.png

Sidney Burks
Captive Portal and Meraki API Automation
Founder and CTO, Boundless Digital
sidney@boundless.fr
https://www.boundless.fr
MMoss
Building a reputation

@boundless-digit I generally enjoy helping beta test new products, but in this case I must decline. The interface looks sleek and intuitive, but I'm particular about allowing software access to admin API's in this case.

On the flip slide I have a Meraki Home Network I'll be willing to do some quick testing with if you would like. It's much smaller, but shoot me a PM and we can discuss. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.