Changin SSID in template using API not working

Solved
adde_x
Comes here often

Changin SSID in template using API not working

Hi

So I am new to scripting and trying to change the ssid name in a template but can't seem to get it to work at all.

Is it even possible?

Every time I get this error:

line 22, in <module>
ssids = dashboard.config_templates.getOrganizationConfigTemplateSsids(organization_id, template_id)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
AttributeError: 'DashboardAPI' object has no attribute 'config_templates'

It's driving me nuts and I have to change more than 100 templates next week 😄

sooo...help me :)) please

BR

Adrian

1 Accepted Solution
sungod
Head in the Cloud

It does seem logical that it should allow updating a template network.

If the call does not fail because the network ID is a template, then it should report fail if it did not update the SSID.

But if it says it completed successfully, that is incorrect because the SSID was not changed, there is a contradiction here.

I had a look at overall documentation, but it doesn't say if a template network is treated the same as a network when making updates.

It won't get you out of our current situation, but you could open a support case to report that it doesn't work.

Either it's a bug or the documentation needs to clarify things, but it should not be necessary to guess!

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@adde_x,  the attribute looks incorrect. But to be honest, I think it will be faster to configure via dashboard than via script if you are not proficient.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

But I believe the correct attribute is configTemplates

https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api/get-organization-config-templates/

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

adde_x
Comes here often

Hi
Please use English.
Also google translate does not always translate correctly.

And yes I have seen the link, still does not work when changing ssid name.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What does BR mean? For me it's Brazil, that's why I wrote in Portuguese.

adde_x
Comes here often

BR = Best Regards

Oh, I don't speak Portuguese sorry.
Swedish, english or romanian 😄
I could use google translate but often gets it wrong.

So yeah, I used the link, used stuff in there but still can't change the ssid in the template. From what I understand this cannot be done?
Seems pretty bad since templates are a huge deal with meraki and I have a huge org with almost 1000 templates 😞

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think  that you can use the template network id and the ssid API https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/#!update-network-wireless-ssid

That was the first thing i tested, script worked but when I went in to see the change, nothing was changed.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm almost 100% sure that there is no API to change the SSID name via template, only via Network.

@sungod , do you have any information?

I haven't tried it, but @RaphaelL comment below looks like it may be the way

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

yeah, I suggested It before, but I don't have time to test it.

Yeah, think so too.
I will still try but so far it doesn't work.

sungod
Head in the Cloud

It does seem logical that it should allow updating a template network.

If the call does not fail because the network ID is a template, then it should report fail if it did not update the SSID.

But if it says it completed successfully, that is incorrect because the SSID was not changed, there is a contradiction here.

I had a look at overall documentation, but it doesn't say if a template network is treated the same as a network when making updates.

It won't get you out of our current situation, but you could open a support case to report that it doesn't work.

Either it's a bug or the documentation needs to clarify things, but it should not be necessary to guess!

adde_x
Comes here often

I did open a case but no good answer just that they get e OK in response.

Support said the same to use the network ssid api to change but that does not change the template and it is not a risk i am willing to take changing more than 100 networks and leaving the template as is.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I can't test it right now , I think you can use  : https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/#!update-network-wireless-ssid

And provide the networkID of the template. Currently the 'Get' is working , haven't test the Put.

adde_x
Comes here often

So after several tests, this does not seem to work.

Only thing that worked was getting the template id store it in a file then use that to change the "network ssid" but not changing the template ssid. Totally unreliable leaving the template ssid as the "old" ssid and just changing the network ssid.

I will not use the script and manually change them in dashboard.....it will take lots of time 😞

Thanks all for your input

adde_x
Comes here often

On the other hand, did some changes to the ssid in the template but not changing the name, seems that the network name does not change even if it's not the same as the template.

Still unreliable according to me.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.