API Rate Limits

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

API Rate Limits

I'm concurrently submitting a lot of requests to get the list of networks of different organisations.  Each organisation is only getting one API request.  So I am well under the 5 requests per second per organisation.

But I'm still running into the 429 rate limit error from Nginx.  I can't tell if I am getting a retry header because the node.js SDK does not expose it to me.

Is there also a rate limit per requesting client?

5 Replies 5
rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

429: Too Many Requests- You submitted more than 5 calls in 1 second to an Organization, triggering rate limiting. This also applies for API calls made across multiple organizations that triggers rate limiting for one of the organizations.

It's buried in this KB article
So it could seem you're still being throttled by the 5 calls per second. Might be a good time to start looking in to action batches? More documentation here.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

And yet, it could seem that action batches might not help in your case, if you're only trying to get a list of networks for different organizations.

Sorry.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

I think I have spotted what it is.  The orgs I am getting 429's on seem to belong to ones with API access disabled.  Normally you get a 404 for an API disabled org.

I'm thinking that once you have had a recent 404 that if another org also returns a 404 it gets changed to a 429.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth wrote:

I think I have spotted what it is.  The orgs I am getting 429's on seem to belong to ones with API access disabled.  Normally you get a 404 for an API disabled org.

I'm thinking that once you have had a recent 404 that if another org also returns a 404 it gets changed to a 429.

That's fascinating and weird. Thank you for the heads up.

Sounds very misleading to me, @PhilipDAth - I'd log a case for it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.