[API] Completely removing a user from a network

areid
New here

[API] Completely removing a user from a network

Hello,

Currently we are testing the automatic creation and removal of guest users in a given network. These both seem to work well, and for removing a user we are using 'DELETE /networks/{networkId}/merakiAuthUsers/{merakiAuthUserId}', but it seems this only works to deauthorize users, unless I am missing something.

Is there currently a way to completely remove a user's data from a network after creation with the API, or does this currently only allow deauthorization?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer.

I believe guest users are an organisation-wide concept, and they are authorised/de-authorised at the network level.  When you create a guest user in a network, it is actually created at the organization level and then made visible in that network.

So it would make sense that an API call at the "network" level was unable to delete something at the "organization" level.  And I would expect deleting a guest user at the organization level would delete it from every network.

Hey Philip, thanks for the response.

Usually creating the users once will show them for all networks which does make sense that it creates them at an organization level. I guess now the problem is that although there does seem to be a way to delete admins within an organization with DELETE /organizations/{organizationId}/admins/{adminId}, there doesn't exist one where we can remove guest users specifically (or at least we don't see one at the moment). 

rsage_voda
Getting noticed

I have the same issue but was told delete would remove the users from the network. Weirdly, if you test it in Postman it works but not in Python using the Meraki API.

rsage_voda
Getting noticed

On a related subject I have inherited a system with 4000+ guest accounts that are redundant dating from 2018-2022 my Python script scrolls round every network in the organisation and pulls the users from each network and prints them out. This identifies some 341 unique accounts. How does the dashboard show me 4000+ and more importantly how do I find where they are coming from

Dalgaard-Madsen
New here

I'm struggling with this issue. We are maintaining a Global guest wireless network. Where users are able to request access. This generates a merakiuser account. And its working fine. I'm trying to cleanup our User database ie. deleting expired user accounts. I can delete the user through the API. But the user still exist in the Organisation. Thereby the user can not register for a new account. Because it still exists in the organisation. Is there any way to delete guest user accounts through the API. So the user are able to make a new request ?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.