Wish: Controls across networks for same customer

Stealth_Network
Getting noticed

Wish: Controls across networks for same customer

I would like a feature request - the ability to apply content filters, URL filters and Firewall rules across the whole org. Let's say you have a customer with 100 networks and you want to block a county; rather than doing it 100 times, can there be a way to apply this across all networks - or have this feature at the Org level.

Same holds true for firewall rules, whitelists, blacklist and applications, and others that you would normally apply across a corporation

I'm dreading having to block certain things across so many networks

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

I might be missing something, but have you looked at using Configuration Templates across your networks?

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Templates_and_Config_Sync/Managing_Multiple...

I may be missing something 🙂

We do use templates but I did not know that these are always in sync across the networks they are applied to (we don't modify the templates after initial network build). The other point was a lot of networks were setup without templates so I guess I could apply a template to them all with the changes. I guess I need to understand if individual sites configurations get trumped by the template.

I'll do more reading - thanks

It's important to differentiate between using a network as a template when you create your networks (by copying settings) and BINDING a network to a template.

If you bind a network to a template, a bunch of things can only be changed in the template.  Those changes get applied to all of the bound networks.

I'm in the middle of testing some changes that will roll out to a few hundred locations.  I copied the template and made the changes in the new template.  While visiting a test location, I re-bound the network to the new template and waited a couple of minutes.  I was then able to test the changes.  This also allows easy rollback.  When I'm ready to move the rest of the networks, it's a simple matter of 'select all' and rebind.

If you use the Scanning API, watch out.  When you copy a template, the post URLs don't get copied over.  That's the only thing I've found that fails to copy over.  There might be others.

For your situation, there is Organization > Configuration Sync to view differences between networks.  I've never been able to get useful results, but I didn't try very hard.  YMMV

That's really helpful - thanks

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.