Why some client on client page on the network-wide monitor menu are always show offline?

Thiandanai
Conversationalist

Why some client on client page on the network-wide monitor menu are always show offline?

I confuse why some client online in the real situation but on client page are always show offline status, even ping still reachable. Meraki use what method to check status of those devices.

6 Replies 6
KH
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @Thiandanai 

Per our documentation:

Clients list data is aggregated over time and therefore the information is not ‘live’, thus there will be a slight delay to a client’s online/offline status. This data is automatically refreshed every few minutes.

Wired clients that had transferred data in the past 5 minutes should appear online. Verify that the “Last seen” timestamp is within the last 5 minutes to ensure the client reflects the proper status.

Are you seeing them offline for longer than 5 minutes?

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
Thiandanai
Conversationalist

Hi @KH 

Yes, I saw them offline longer than 5 minutes. These devices should be always online, their never power-off for sure.

For "Last seen" timestamp is longer than 5 minutes too.

Hi @Thiandanai ,

Are these devices connected by cable or wifi?

Did you check if the devices went to sleep or energy saving mode?

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

Hi @Tony-Sydney-AU,

These devices connected by the cable.

Almost devices that show offline are access-control. I'm not sure it's maybe sleep mode, energy saving mode or not.

That is good point. i will check it with support team of these devices.

Many thanks,

Hi there! Yes, please let us know what you found.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

Hi @Tony-Sydney-AU 

Because it's the access-control devices. Them working like a passive mode right?

These devices look like not sent any communication activity. I saw only ARP packet when i sniff the packet. Maybe reason why it's always show offline state right?

**i'm not yet testing sniff packet when scan card before.

What do you think about this?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.