Upgrading AP and Licensing

Butters
Conversationalist

Upgrading AP and Licensing

We currently have 3 MR-18 APs.  We will soon be adding 3 MX devices, 3 switches and at least 1 more AP (MR-42) possibly 4 (3 to replace our MR-18s).

Our 3 APs have close to 2 years of licensing left on them and all of the new equipment will be purchased with 5 Year licensing.  If we want to replace 2 or possibly all 3 of our MR-18s with the newer MR-42s, how would we do that and not lose the 2 years of licensing left on the 3 MR-18s we currently have? 

I understand the co-termination thing but things seem too get muddy when adding new equipment and removing older things.  What is the best way to upgrade the MR-18s to MR42s and still keep the 2 years of licensing left on the MR-18s we would likely be getting rid of?

6 REPLIES 6
Ben
A model citizen

If you want to upgrade the MR-18's to MR42's tell your Meraki partner or distributor you want this so you can purchase the MR42's without a license. 

MR licenses are all the same for every AP so if you remove the MR18's from the dashboard you would have enough licenses for the replacement MR42's.

Cheers,

Ben

Butters
Conversationalist

Thanks for the quick reply Ben.

This was bid out and part of an e-rate proposal that might not allow us to not purchase without the licensing. Are there any other ways around this? I like the co-termination thing but it seems there are consequences when adding new hardware to the mix.
Ben
A model citizen

Hi,

No not really. This is the only way you can do it.

The 5Yr's of the new equipment will run a few days less because of the existing MR devices.

But by the looks of this I don't think you will lose that much because you are purchasing much more equipment.

You can calculate the impact via this tool => https://dashboard.meraki.com/manage/dashboard/license_calculator

Just put in the MR devices and remaining days and the new equipment with 1825 days (5 Yr) and you'll see where it will end.

Cheers,

Ben

Butters
Conversationalist

Hmmm.  OK.  What if I decide to keep my old APs and add new ones and ride it out until the newly calculated licensing term expires.  Can I only renew the devices I wish and let the older APs that I am dicontinuing 'fall off' and be done with them and their licensing?

Ben
A model citizen

Sure, yes. If you only renew the licenses for the AP's you want the others will just not function anymore.

Don't forget to remove them from your dashboard when this happens.

Regards,

Ben

MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

And remember that no AP license is ever tied to any actual piece of hardware.  So if you end up with 5 AP licenses, or whatever quantity, that simply is how many can be active in your Dashboard at any time.  Regardless of which models might be mixed and matched.  No Meraki license is ever tied to a serial number, only an "instance" of that piece of equipment.  Also note that there is a licensing calculator that might prove useful.  https://dashboard.meraki.com/manage/dashboard/license_calculator

Run this past your local Meraki sales team as well, because as you indicated, sometimes USAC/eRate rules can make this a bit tricky, and could require a little licensing gymnastics on the back end.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.