Unable to login dashboard with SMS authentication

SOLVED
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Unable to login dashboard with SMS authentication

It seems that today after logging in with my password I get stuck on a server error, so I don't receive met text message to do the two factor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You don't mention which country you are in - but this feature only works in a small number of countries.

Because you are completely dependent on the third party SMS provider, the transit between them and your provider, and then your provider for it to work - I'd personally dump the approach and use an "authenticator" app.

Much more reliable.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/Two-Factor_Authentication#Using... 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
twinedsnake
New here

I am having the same issue. 

jlandky
Here to help

Had the same issue this morning. Seems to be back up. We are on N116.

JLand, CMNO
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I didn't notice, but some other services I use reported SMS issues today.  Probably an upstream provider they use like Twilio, etc. had a problem.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You don't mention which country you are in - but this feature only works in a small number of countries.

Because you are completely dependent on the third party SMS provider, the transit between them and your provider, and then your provider for it to work - I'd personally dump the approach and use an "authenticator" app.

Much more reliable.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Other_Topics/Two-Factor_Authentication#Using... 

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hey Philip, I'm from Belgium 🙂

But would you know by chance this would also work on Microsoft Authenticator?
I already use that app because my company is heavy into Microsoft and all 2 factor auth's run via that app.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I tested it using MS authenticator and it seems to work fine with the OTP it generates every time.

Now I can make a wish and have them support face-id 🙂

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Now I can make a wish and have them support face-id

You effectively can.  The dashboard supports SAML.  You would just need to provide a SAML Idp that supports authentication using face-id.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.