Remove admin privileges without deleting the user

emax
Comes here often

Remove admin privileges without deleting the user

We're currently using Meraki cloud for our VPN authentication, which means that all our VPN users are listed in "User management" for each network in our organization.

We also have a number of Organization admins with various levels of privileges. I discovered the hard way that if I remove all of an administrator's privileges, Meraki will prompt that the user account will be deleted as a result. After that action, the user's VPN credentials are no longer in the directory.

Is there a way to demote an account from an administrator to a standard "guest" account, so I don't have to recreate the account and reset the VPN password?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

I'm not aware of a way to demote an administrator account to a guest user without deleting it and re-adding.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When adding users that only need VPN access you normally put them under:

Network Wide/Users

and not:

Organization/Administrators

emax
Comes here often

Yes, we routinely do that.

But all our Admins are also VPN users (they're a subset of the Network Wide/Users). Meraki automatically deletes an admin account which has no privileges. Which removes the entry from the Network Wide/Users list.

I assume this is the same database, since when you view the users in the Network Wide/Users list, they're shown as "Administrators".

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How about creating a dummy network called "no-privileges", that contains nothing, and only giving them access to that?

emax
Comes here often

That might work.
Mmmmm...
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.