Prevent guest ambassadors from being able to revoke the access of existing admins?

tonetl
Here to help

Prevent guest ambassadors from being able to revoke the access of existing admins?

There seems to be a glaring oversight in the way guest ambassador accounts function.  Any guest ambassador is able to revoke authorization for all other accounts currently existing, including all other admin accounts.  Is there a way to prevent ambassadors from being able to do that?  If not, assuming a guest ambassador had actually done that, how would the admins go about regaining access to their accounts and the dashboard?

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you sure? 

"Guest ambassador: User only able to see the list of Meraki authentication users, add users, update existing users, and authorize/deauthorize users on an SSID or Client VPN. Ambassadors can also remove wireless users, if they are an ambassador on all networks"

tonetl
Here to help

Yes, I am sure.  I created a test guest ambassador and logged in as that user.  The ambassador has the permissions it should (create a user, authorize a user, and revoke authorization for a user).  But, included within the list of all currently-added guest user accounts is the list of admins of the system.  The ambassador account is able to revoke the authorization of any/all admin accounts.  This seems like a huge risk and something that should be preventable.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

They can revoke ssid  or vpn access to the ssid/vpn(network) they have access to.  But not dashboard access.

tonetl
Here to help

Thank you for that clarification.  So, it sounds like the admin accounts will still be able to sign into the Meraki dashboard website...they just would not be able to connect to any networks until their condition has been resolved.  I would Meraki has this on their radar, at least.  Ideally, I would love to see some additional restrictions in place on ambassadors, like the ability to only create accounts and/or re-authorize them but not the ability to de-authorize.  Additionally, I would like it so ambassadors don't even see the administrators in the list of users whose accounts they can make adjustments to.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>So, it sounds like the admin accounts will still be able to sign into the Meraki dashboard website...they just would not be able to connect to any networks until their condition has been resolved. 

This is exactly the case.  Also note that "admin" users are not "authorized" by default.  You still have to do that manually.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.