Per-Device Licensing confusion

SOLVED
sbishop
Here to help

Per-Device Licensing confusion

The following is stated in the documentation located here.

"Current customers will not see a change in their expiration date when they convert to per-device licensing. When they purchase a new license/device and claim it into their organization, is when they will see a different expiration date. For example, if the customer's co-termination date is 1/1/2025 and they convert, their expiration date in per-device will be 1/1/2025 for all their devices/products. If they purchase 1 new AP with a 7-year license on 1/1/2025, the expiration date of that device will be 1/1/2027. The other devices will maintain the 1/1/2025 expiration date."

I understand that if I convert right now, all my devices including expired ones will all have my current co-term date applied to each of them. It states that when I purchase another device, it will have its own expiration date tied to it based on the licensing term date. The example shows a 7-year license added on 1/1/2025 expires on 1/1/2027. My math calculates that this 7-year license expires in 2 years according to this example. Is this a typo I hope?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi -- Thank you for pointing this out. It is a typo in the documentation and has been corrected.

Yes, your current co-termination date will be applied to all the devices currently in your organization. Then, after you convert, when you add another license (e.g. a 7-year license) to a new device, it will have a separate date compared to the devices/licenses that were converted.

"Current customers will not see a change in their expiration date when they convert to per-device licensing. When they purchase a new license/device and claim it into their organization, is when they will see a different expiration date. For example, if the customer's co-termination date is 1/1/2025 and they convert, their expiration date in per-device will be 1/1/2025 for all their devices/products. If they purchase 1 new AP with a 7-year license on 1/1/2020, the expiration date of that device will be 1/1/2027. The other devices will maintain the 1/1/2025 expiration date."

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi -- Thank you for pointing this out. It is a typo in the documentation and has been corrected.

Yes, your current co-termination date will be applied to all the devices currently in your organization. Then, after you convert, when you add another license (e.g. a 7-year license) to a new device, it will have a separate date compared to the devices/licenses that were converted.

"Current customers will not see a change in their expiration date when they convert to per-device licensing. When they purchase a new license/device and claim it into their organization, is when they will see a different expiration date. For example, if the customer's co-termination date is 1/1/2025 and they convert, their expiration date in per-device will be 1/1/2025 for all their devices/products. If they purchase 1 new AP with a 7-year license on 1/1/2020, the expiration date of that device will be 1/1/2027. The other devices will maintain the 1/1/2025 expiration date."

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.