Per-Device Licensing confusion

Solved
sbishop
Here to help

Per-Device Licensing confusion

The following is stated in the documentation located here.

"Current customers will not see a change in their expiration date when they convert to per-device licensing. When they purchase a new license/device and claim it into their organization, is when they will see a different expiration date. For example, if the customer's co-termination date is 1/1/2025 and they convert, their expiration date in per-device will be 1/1/2025 for all their devices/products. If they purchase 1 new AP with a 7-year license on 1/1/2025, the expiration date of that device will be 1/1/2027. The other devices will maintain the 1/1/2025 expiration date."

I understand that if I convert right now, all my devices including expired ones will all have my current co-term date applied to each of them. It states that when I purchase another device, it will have its own expiration date tied to it based on the licensing term date. The example shows a 7-year license added on 1/1/2025 expires on 1/1/2027. My math calculates that this 7-year license expires in 2 years according to this example. Is this a typo I hope?

1 Accepted Solution
MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi -- Thank you for pointing this out. It is a typo in the documentation and has been corrected.

Yes, your current co-termination date will be applied to all the devices currently in your organization. Then, after you convert, when you add another license (e.g. a 7-year license) to a new device, it will have a separate date compared to the devices/licenses that were converted.

"Current customers will not see a change in their expiration date when they convert to per-device licensing. When they purchase a new license/device and claim it into their organization, is when they will see a different expiration date. For example, if the customer's co-termination date is 1/1/2025 and they convert, their expiration date in per-device will be 1/1/2025 for all their devices/products. If they purchase 1 new AP with a 7-year license on 1/1/2020, the expiration date of that device will be 1/1/2027. The other devices will maintain the 1/1/2025 expiration date."

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
MerakiShawn
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi -- Thank you for pointing this out. It is a typo in the documentation and has been corrected.

Yes, your current co-termination date will be applied to all the devices currently in your organization. Then, after you convert, when you add another license (e.g. a 7-year license) to a new device, it will have a separate date compared to the devices/licenses that were converted.

"Current customers will not see a change in their expiration date when they convert to per-device licensing. When they purchase a new license/device and claim it into their organization, is when they will see a different expiration date. For example, if the customer's co-termination date is 1/1/2025 and they convert, their expiration date in per-device will be 1/1/2025 for all their devices/products. If they purchase 1 new AP with a 7-year license on 1/1/2020, the expiration date of that device will be 1/1/2027. The other devices will maintain the 1/1/2025 expiration date."

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.