Org-level RADIUS Server - Open discussion

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Org-level RADIUS Server - Open discussion

Hi , 

This is an open discussion about the new EA Feature : Org-level RADIUS Server

(https://community.meraki.com/t5/Feature-Announcements/Public-Preview-Org-level-RADIUS-Server/ba-p/21...)

1. Documentation is properly attached . Bonus points !
  2. Seems to have broken some Access Policy related API. Waiting confirmation on that
  3. User input validation seems broken

RaphaelL_0-1698938824493.png

1. Existing Access Policy now includes a new UI  :

RaphaelL_0-1698937107117.png

• The mix of 'new' UI and 'old' UI is a bit odd. 
  • Old Access Policy now display a 'show secret' button. That button is not displaying my current Secret. So I have no idea what it is showing

So here is my initial feedback 🙂 

PS : Love the idea and the feature but still dislike the way to inform of bugs / feedback. The "give feedback button" is not event present on that page , and unsure if someone is really looking at that anyway.

Cheers !

10 Replies 10
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Open question : If you change one or all RADIUS server IPs , should we expect a Org-Wide re-auth on all ports configured with an access policy ?

Eg : I'm migrating my RADIUS from 10.1.1.1 to 10.2.2.2. I do the change Org-Wide. What is the expected behavior ?

My initial thoughts : Nothing happens until there's a re-auth or new auth on the ports using that access policy. Am I right ?

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Only for Switches??? Ok ... This is a feature I have hoped for since day 1. But wireless would be more important. For your question, I would expect the existing sessions to stay active until reauth or a button "reauth now" is pressed (either on the dashboard or on the RADIUS server).

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes I hope this get ported to MR ! 

The only reason I'm asking is because editing ports/access policy on MX forces a re-auth of all ports. I was worried a bit about that part but it seems that you are right. I have to do more testing

Edit : And MS too ? https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Access_Control/MS_Switch_Access_Policies_(802.1X)

As of MS 9.16, changes to an existing access policy will cause a port-bounce on all ports configured for that policy.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

> If you change one or all RADIUS server IPs

Does it result in a re-auth if you change the RADIUS server IP address at the current network level?

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Per documentation .. yes 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Access_Control/MS_Switch_Access_Policies_(802.1X)

As of MS 9.16, changes to an existing access policy will cause a port-bounce on all ports configured for that policy.

But I have to try it first.  That message seems really old. 9.16 , I don't even remember the bugs from that version haha !

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Update from my case : Hi Raphael. The behavior in question is no longer present. 

So changing the Radius settings Org-wide ( or network-wide ) shouldn't bounce the configured ports.

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

MR will come later

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

+1 for MR please 🙂

bhilgenkamp2024
Here to help

Is it possible to reference these global RADIUS servers when creating an access policy via API? I'm not seeing a way to use the createNetworkSwitchAccessPolicy operation to link to these global servers.

I'm afraid it is not possible at the moment.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.