Network Configuration Challenges with Meraki Ports and VLANs

Solved
HSHan
Here to help

Network Configuration Challenges with Meraki Ports and VLANs

The screenshot below shows the configuration window in Meraki for assigning VLANs to each port.
*Unnecessary information has been concealed for clarity.

This setting allows Meraki to apply the specified VLAN when configuring a particular VLAN on the respective port.

Screenshot 2023-09-15 at 8.05.59 AM.png

As additional information for ports 2, 3, and 4, there are company WiFi access points (APs) configured on these ports with both VLAN 10 and VLAN 50. These access points enable communication between the two VLANs.

However, according to the settings on the screen, the wireless APs connected to ports 2, 3, and 4 should be assigned to VLAN 1. However, Upon checking the assigned IP addresses, it appears that VLAN 10 with the IP range 192.168.1.0 is being assigned instead.

Consequently, communication is occurring as if the devices connected to port 6, which is allocated to VLAN 10, are communicating with the printers/users.

Of course, the CS team and QA team connected to ports 8 and 9 are currently using different network subnets, which is why they cannot access the printer.

Here's a question for you. 

Question 1 
Even if I change the VLAN ID on Meraki ports 2, 3, and 4, there is no change in the assigned IP addresses. In other words, no matter which VLAN I set, only the IP addresses from VLAN 10 are assigned. (Doesn't this seem unusual?) The access points connected to ports 2, 3, and 4 are products provided by the ISP, and I don't have administrator privileges on them. Therefore, I have no way of verifying how VLAN 10 and 50 are assigned within those access points. Currently, the only method I have is to check the assigned addresses from the incoming traffic.

Question 2 
Is there any significance to the "Native" setting configured on ports 2, 3, and 4?

Question 3
How can I remove 'Native" config? or Is it causing any problem if I remove it? 

1 Accepted Solution
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

As per the previous comments, if you set a VLAN ID within the management config of an AP, it will always send the resulting management traffic with that 802.1Q tag.   If you have the same VLAN configured as the native VLAN on the switch port, to which the AP is attached, you should remove the VLAN ID in the AP management configuration.  The AP will then send untagged and the switch will process that traffic within the native VLAN.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the ISP has configured  the ssid with tag vlan 10, it will always  use that vlan, regardless what native vlan you set

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Addressing_and_Bridging/VLAN_Tagging_on_MR_Access_Points

HSHan
Here to help

That's what I thought. Thanks, WW. The strange thing is, the Wi-Fi ports goes down when I switch from VLAN 1 to VLAN 10. If it's managed by the ISP, it shouldn't matter what I set, right?

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I supose the problem then is that the AP send frames with vlan tag10. And when the switch has vlan 10 as native it does not expect packets with vlan tag 10 and it doesnt proces that

Yes it matters how you configure trunks. Check with your isp for the best settings/requirements

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

As per the previous comments, if you set a VLAN ID within the management config of an AP, it will always send the resulting management traffic with that 802.1Q tag.   If you have the same VLAN configured as the native VLAN on the switch port, to which the AP is attached, you should remove the VLAN ID in the AP management configuration.  The AP will then send untagged and the switch will process that traffic within the native VLAN.

Thanks for clarifying my question. I will contact ISP to remove the tag from those APs.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.