Moving License Model to Device with Systems Manager

ccoho
Here to help

Moving License Model to Device with Systems Manager

I have a support ticket open and an email to my Cisco account rep but I wanted to post here as well to cover all of my bases.

We have been using Legacy systems manager but now must migrate to Enterprise.  No problem, I purchased a 1yr for the # of devices.  The issue is, due to where the funding is coming from, I cannot co-term this.  So I want to move to per-device licensing (I am fine managing this on my own, I actually prefer per-device anyways).

Problem - Support tells me I cannot move to per-device because I have a legacy systems manager.  But I cannot apply the license while I'm in co-term or instead of our 1yr of SM, we'll have like 2 months (which conflicts with the grant for this project).  I have 675 geographically distributed devices, it is not realistic to delete the SM network and recreate after going per-device...

Do I have any options?  

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I would definitely have a talk with your Meraki rep about the options. But perhaps you could buy 1 more SM license, apply that first (you'd temporarily be out of compliance), convert to PDL, then apply the larger SM license?

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

I wonder if that would work just going out of compliance for an hour?  I also considered if I purchased 675 1 day licenses just to cover the day i'm moving to per-device, but I'm unsure how a 1 day license will work with co-terming... I'd be worried spread across all of my hardware it would turn to zero.

Anytime you're out of compliance/over subscribed it should invoke a 30 day grace period. Again, I'd talk through it with your Meraki Account Team first.

Ryan / Meraki SE

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solved your problem click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

This is excellent advice, thank you!  I do have an email in to my Cisco rep, I'm waiting for a response.  But sometimes the user-base can get more creative with ideas, so this gives me something to suggest.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.