Moving License Model to Device with Systems Manager

ccoho
Here to help

Moving License Model to Device with Systems Manager

I have a support ticket open and an email to my Cisco account rep but I wanted to post here as well to cover all of my bases.

We have been using Legacy systems manager but now must migrate to Enterprise.  No problem, I purchased a 1yr for the # of devices.  The issue is, due to where the funding is coming from, I cannot co-term this.  So I want to move to per-device licensing (I am fine managing this on my own, I actually prefer per-device anyways).

Problem - Support tells me I cannot move to per-device because I have a legacy systems manager.  But I cannot apply the license while I'm in co-term or instead of our 1yr of SM, we'll have like 2 months (which conflicts with the grant for this project).  I have 675 geographically distributed devices, it is not realistic to delete the SM network and recreate after going per-device...

Do I have any options?  

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I would definitely have a talk with your Meraki rep about the options. But perhaps you could buy 1 more SM license, apply that first (you'd temporarily be out of compliance), convert to PDL, then apply the larger SM license?

I wonder if that would work just going out of compliance for an hour?  I also considered if I purchased 675 1 day licenses just to cover the day i'm moving to per-device, but I'm unsure how a 1 day license will work with co-terming... I'd be worried spread across all of my hardware it would turn to zero.

Anytime you're out of compliance/over subscribed it should invoke a 30 day grace period. Again, I'd talk through it with your Meraki Account Team first.

This is excellent advice, thank you!  I do have an email in to my Cisco rep, I'm waiting for a response.  But sometimes the user-base can get more creative with ideas, so this gives me something to suggest.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.