Meraki Devices as Clients

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Meraki Devices as Clients

Any reason why Meraki devices don't show as clients nor do they show client history in the dashboard?  Use Case:  AP goes offline and I'd like to cycle the port it was connected to.  I search the dashboard for the AP MAC or IP and find nothing.  Is there something I'm missing?  In this use case once the AP is offline it doesn't show the last port it was connected to either so I can't research it from the AP perspective.  The same conceptual issue exists for MV cameras etc...

I've noticed this for a while and have documented screenshots of my devices with their ports in my topo diagrams but this seems like an oversight.  Maybe someone here has a better idea?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
5 REPLIES 5
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

I thought there was a minimum amount of data per time period that needed to be met before a device showed up in the clients page? I don't think a Meraki AP doing normal dashboard "stuff" meets that threshold. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you have a Meraki switch, and go "Switch/Switch Ports", and enable the CDP/LLDP column you can see them there - but they would need to actually be powered up still for them to be visible.

Screenshot from 2018-06-05 14-25-20.png

Adam
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth wrote:

If you have a Meraki switch, and go "Switch/Switch Ports", and enable the CDP/LLDP column you can see them there - but they would need to actually be powered up still for them to be visible.

Screenshot from 2018-06-05 14-25-20.png

Right I do that but I'm typically looking into these after they've gone offline.  At which point they no longer show the port information they were connected to like a typical client?  Other thoughts/idea?  Am I the only one that's had to look into this.  Here are some screenshot examples:

Capture.PNG

Then if I click on the 'Outdoor' camera above or if I go to clients to search for its name or MAC I find nothing.  This seems to be common but I don't really understand why Meraki doesn't track its own devices as clients so we'd have the history etc...

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

We've found it worth the time to manually copy the CDP/LLDP info and paste it into the Notes field. A good rainy day project.

Pdriver
Conversationalist

Hello
On a side note regards LLDP on the MR's , Any reason you guys know why the AP's would log they are directly to a phone even though they are connected to a switchport and the switch's are logging the correct mac of the aps?

Its only occurred as far as I can see since the latest firmware upgrade.

Example:

Ethernet 1
1000 Mbit, full duplex
regDN 2080,MITEL 5312 IP / LAN port

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.