Licensing and replacing switches

SOLVED
Russ_B
Getting noticed

Licensing and replacing switches

I apologize if this has been brought up before, I did a search and didn't find anything.

My organization is using the co-termination license model and our current license expiration date is in 2023.  We have over 100 MS220 series switches with EOST dates in 2024 and 2025, so I've started thinking about planning and budgeting for their replacement.

What keeps tripping me up is that unless I switch to per-device licensing, when I order MS120 series switches to replace the MS220 switches, a chunk of that licensing will go to extending the MS220 licensing.  I opened a ticket with support to ask if there is a way to remove licensing for a device that we no longer own, and I was told that they do not remove licenses.  The other issue I have is that when I renew my licensing I would like to renew for 5 years to take advantage of the lower cost/year compared to the 1 year term, but if I do that I will be extending the licenses for the MS220 series switches 3-4 years beyond their EOST date.

How do people typically manage licensing when replacing hardware?  I kind of feel like I'm being forced to choose between switching to per-device licensing, paying a bunch of money for licensing that I won't need after the switches are replaced, or keeping the MS220 series switches in service past their EOST date.

Thanks,

Russ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>I have to order these devices and licenses off of a government contract, so I don't think I'm going to have any flexibility as far as asking for discounts or extensions.

That is a bit tricky.  I only deal with commercial customers.

I would try and get hold of the Meraki account manager for the contract.  Explain the situation and see what they can do.  If they can't organise a "deal" of some kind, they might be able to do something else - such as authorise your account to run in licence violation mode for 12 months.

If you are replacing the switches and buying new licences Meraki is not losing out on any revenue.

There is several ways they might be able to help in your specific case.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I think I would stick with co-termination.

Some thoughts; if you get a quote for replacement switches ask if they can do a +1 year of free licencing.  For example, ask if you buy a 5-year licence now can they give you an extra year for free.

Or ask if they could do a deal ID for a 20% discount, so you effectively get a year for free on a 5-year licence.

Or ask if they can do a 7-year licence for the price of a 5-year licence.

If you got any of these options you could simply replace the current licences with new licences, and the kit, at the same time.  Completely ending the MS220 licences.

That would mitigate a lot of the effect.

Thanks for the response.

I would prefer to stick with co-termination as well.  I don't really want to have to keep up with a bunch of different expiration dates (or buy a bunch of 1 day licenses), and we're using 99 of our 100 free SM licenses, which I understand we will have to give up or pay for if we convert to per-device licensing.

I have to order these devices and licenses off of a government contract, so I don't think I'm going to have any flexibility as far as asking for discounts or extensions.

After staring at spreadsheets all day, I think I've come up with a solution.  I'm going to replace as many of the MS220 switches as I can before 2023, then in 2023 I'll do a 3 year license renewal.  That will push my co-termination date into 2026, which is when I have 17 MX appliances going EOST, along with a bunch of MR33 and MR74 APs.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>I have to order these devices and licenses off of a government contract, so I don't think I'm going to have any flexibility as far as asking for discounts or extensions.

That is a bit tricky.  I only deal with commercial customers.

I would try and get hold of the Meraki account manager for the contract.  Explain the situation and see what they can do.  If they can't organise a "deal" of some kind, they might be able to do something else - such as authorise your account to run in licence violation mode for 12 months.

If you are replacing the switches and buying new licences Meraki is not losing out on any revenue.

There is several ways they might be able to help in your specific case.

Thanks again.  I was hoping that there was some sort of standard procedure for dealing with hardware replacements, but once I get closer to actually ordering the replacement equipment I'll contact our Account Manager.

Thanks,

Russ

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.