IP Confict Alarms

bxdobs
Here to help

IP Confict Alarms

Z3 stand alone network being used for a club has been experiencing a number of IP Conflict alarms by seemingly one device ... the MAC within the Client list suggests this is some kind of android device ... the logs suggest it is requesting DHCP services to assign its IP Address ... The issue is it is using addresses already assigned/in use ... fairly certain Meraki would NOT issue an address that it has already assigned. Added a blocking policy to this device but it keeps moving to another in use IP ... used arp -a to try and track this device but every time I ping this device it disappears from the arp list

are there any network/wifi tools that could help track this device down?

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Look, the Meraki will not assign the same IP to different Macs, the probability is that some device has a fixed IP.

To identify devices you can use the client list and the ARP table, there is not much secret.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
VictorYang
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Agreed that the Z3 will not assign the same IP to a different mac address. But if the android device could use the IP it like even if it's duplicated with others. 
You cannot block a device to connect to an SSID. The block policy only applied after it connected. If you select those issue is created by the same device with the same Mac address. You may assign a fixed IP to it then assign the block policy. But if the device doesn't take DHCP and insist to user its' own static IP. You would need to find the device and correct the settings.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What's the bet it is something to do with MAC randomisation.

The Android starts off using a private MAC address, gets a DHCP address, and then changes to a non-private MAC.  That would make it look like two different MAC addresses where trying to use the same IP address.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.