How to monitor the temperature of the devices on dashboard?

jackyzhang
Conversationalist

How to monitor the temperature of the devices on dashboard?

I would like to monitor the temperature of the all my MX, MS, MR products. How can I find this function on dashboard or not there? 

5 REPLIES 5
MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

The operating temperature of devices cannot be seen within the dashboard for any of the Meraki range (MX,MS,MR,MV). This information can not be accessed currently via the API either.

My recommendation would be to "Make a Wish" through the dashboard and to also follow up with your Meraki sales rep if this feature is pending a sales opportunity.

I too would also like this feature and have requested for it. I believe Meraki Support access to this information if you feel a certain device is running a little hot I'd get in touch with them to see if they can help provide you it.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Typically (but not always) devices without a fan don't have a MIB or monitoring capabilities, this is industry wide and is a physical limitation not something in software. There are temp alerts on our Meraki MS switches that will come through via syslog/event log, just no way of pulling this information via MIB.

While I like the sound of this I do suggest that if your equipment is critical you should invest in a proper monitored temp sensor. We have them in all of our server rooms. We currently use Temp@lerts products but if Meraki decided to get into this space I would be happy to change.

A new rack mounted temp sensor would be nice. 

Sorry just adding to this, if your equipment is critical you need a system that can email, sms and call. The reason I say this is we aren't always checking our emails, sms messages are sometimes not heard but a call will almost always get through. 

I have our system setup on the following way

22 Degrees : Email and SMS (Warning)

25 Degrees : Email and SMS (Alert)

30 Degrees : SMS and Phone Call (Critical)

These alerts go to me and all of my staff. This solution has saved our equipment with the most recent episode being on the 24th of Dec after the fire alarm in one building was activated, when this happens are shuts down all cooling systems as not to "fan the fire" however when that was dealt with the cooling wasn't turned back on. I was able to remote in and restart the cooling system because the sensor alerted me to the fact it was starting to warm up in that area.

Doug
Conversationalist

We use room alert. it allows texts, emails, etc., and we also monitor for water at the floor in rooms below grade. We also have a sensor in the AC fan unit that monitors the flow of cool air in to the computer room, a monitor for electric system supply outage, and humidity, and door monitors. roomalert.com 

If Meraki were to get into this space it could be great. We use Meraki Cameras to monitor the rooms.

Doug Dersch

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.