How to confirm the consumption of license in Co-Termination Licensing.

SOLVED
Kiri
Conversationalist

How to confirm the consumption of license in Co-Termination Licensing.

Hi, community,

I'd like to know the way how much duration has the license of each network been consumed by Co-Termination Licensing.

I manage tons of networks by Co-Term Licensing now, then I would like to shift to Per-Device Licensing due to some reasons. Before making the plan, firstly I'd like to make sure that each license has been properly purchased and consumed as instructed by my team(All license should be 5yrs one)

I thought there are some APIs for this, but APIs I can find is not for users who use Co-Term Licensing but for Per-Device Licensing.

Since I use Co-Term Licensing now so it might be difficult to calculate that each network has a proper license(5yrs) and how much it was consumed. But much appreciate it if there's any solution. 

BRs,
Kiri

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

So if I understand correctly, you're talking about a single organization and your worry is that not all licenses were bought at the same time. Thanks to the co-termination system, your organization will have come up with a single expiration date even though those licenses weren't all bought at the same time.

For the conversion it's only that date that is important. Because that date will be the expiration date for the (per-device) licenses generated during the conversion. The conversion procedure totally ignores what the original duration of the bought licenses was.

So before AND after the conversion, everything will be expiring at the moment you labeled "Expiry date for all".

After the conversion, any licenses that you buy for that organization will now be valid for their actual duration, there will be no automatic co-terminating anymore.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When you change to per device licencing everything gets the current co-term date. It doesn't matter what existing licences have been purchased. 

Kiri
Conversationalist

Thank you PhilipDAth for your prompt reply.

So you mean that proper quantity of license will be allocated to each network automatically after I asked Meraki support for Per-Device Licensing? If so, that's great...

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Depends on what you mean with proper. Let's have an example. If this is the co-termination date:

_20191218_070943.JPG

And this is the device table:

DeviceCount.png

After conversion the number of per device licenses for each of the present product groups would be equal to the left column amounts. Then from those, a number of licenses would be attached to actual devices, namely the number in the right column.

Each of the new per device licenses would be valid for 387 days.

Effectively this means nothing has changed from a value perspective.

Kiri
Conversationalist

Dear BrechtSchamp,

Thank you for your answer! I'd like to understand this properly, please allow me to question this again.

Attached pics are my understanding for both Co-term & Per-Device. Is this correct?
In our network management policy, there should not be "C" example. So I would say each license for each network should be consumed "properly"  for 5 years. My concern is that what will happen to my organization if there's "C" example actually(Unfortunately, I haven't been managing all purchase of licenses)
if my understanding as below pic is correct, it's okay for me though...

Meraki License-ページ1.pngMeraki License-ページ1のコピー.png

BRs,
Kiri

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

So if I understand correctly, you're talking about a single organization and your worry is that not all licenses were bought at the same time. Thanks to the co-termination system, your organization will have come up with a single expiration date even though those licenses weren't all bought at the same time.

For the conversion it's only that date that is important. Because that date will be the expiration date for the (per-device) licenses generated during the conversion. The conversion procedure totally ignores what the original duration of the bought licenses was.

So before AND after the conversion, everything will be expiring at the moment you labeled "Expiry date for all".

After the conversion, any licenses that you buy for that organization will now be valid for their actual duration, there will be no automatic co-terminating anymore.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.