Fun project coming up.

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

Fun project coming up.

I have a company that has devices in two different organizations.  MX is in one Org and MS and MRs are in another.  I need to merge them all into the Org the MX is in.  Physically they are already connected.  I've brainstormed some thoughts on a good strategy to do this but figured I would ask here to see if anyone has any experience in this.

My thoughts so far:

Keep old network up and add one layer three switch to new Org.  This would allow be to manually duplicate all L3 rules, DHCP, VLANs and everything that will need created.  After that I would just move the switches over one at a time and reconfigure the ports from screenshots previously taken while in original Org.  My road block to this path.  If I don't get them all moved over at once then will this mess things up having L3 rules in two different locations?  Would I need to move everything during a single outage window.

The MR devices I think  will be simple.  Move over one MR long enough to recreate SSIDs and then just move all MR devices over while renaming them.

Thoughts or experience?

7 Replies 7
Krech
Conversationalist

Hello,

i think you're idea is good.

I would try with the api to make a configuration report.

I add you a screenshot i hope it helps. This api command can clone your port settings maybe is that a option. 

grafik.png

AutomationDude
Building a reputation

Jwiley,

Our company recently did something kind of similar for a client. I would definitely recommend using the APIs for this kind of project if you know how because there is a risk of messing up settings if you don't do everything at once. Plus you can definitely automate this. Here's a post I did on it too:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Meraki-Projects-Gallery/Reimagining-a-messy-network/cns-p/109671#M24...

Feel free to reach out to me at ali.imran@boundlessdigital.com if you want more details or want to discuss. 

Cheers and good luck.

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

I'll have to look into APIs.  I've briefly tried to figure out their purpose but don't know much about how to use them.

AutomationDude
Building a reputation

They are probably the best thing about Meraki. If you are going to be doing this for a while its probably worth it to take a look!

Krech
Conversationalist

Hello 🙂

I've been thinking about your problem.

Look for this option. I couldn't test it right now, but maybe it will help.

Organization -> Configuration Sync

2021-03-08 13_24_23-Configuration sync - Meraki Dashboard.png

Jwiley78
Building a reputation

Never saw that option before.  I'll have to check it out and see what it does.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.