Firmware update alerts for non-existent devices

Solved
Patio_Pat
Conversationalist

Firmware update alerts for non-existent devices

Hello everyone... we've been seeing a minor & annoying bug with the firmware alerts for the last several months.

Under the firmware status page, we see alerts for a switch and a sensor that don't actually exist. I've included a screenshot below. The Texas Colo network contains only an MX appliance and nothing else. Nor have we ever installed any sensor device, yet Meraki thinks we have one in our Warehouse network. When you select the device to update, the next page says we have no devices alerting right now.

Has anyone else ever seen this? I don't expect a fix for an issue that is more of a nuisance than anything else. I know at some point a manager is going to ask about it, and I hope to have something more than "How the hell should I know?"

Screenshot 2024-09-20 164146.jpg

Cheers.

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @Patio_Pat 

It's not a bug. Combined networks contain all device types regardless if you've added them to the network. This is because firmware is set at the network level and combined networks therefore have all possible network types: appliance, switch, wireless, cell gateway, camera, sensor.

You can either ignore it, upgrade the firmware (which will do nothing), or split the combined network, delete the network type(s) you don't want, them recombine the remaining wanted networks.

Discussed several times in past posts like this one for example.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Dashboard-Administration/Rouge-ghost-device-showing-in-firmware-page...

Ryan

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @Patio_Pat 

It's not a bug. Combined networks contain all device types regardless if you've added them to the network. This is because firmware is set at the network level and combined networks therefore have all possible network types: appliance, switch, wireless, cell gateway, camera, sensor.

You can either ignore it, upgrade the firmware (which will do nothing), or split the combined network, delete the network type(s) you don't want, them recombine the remaining wanted networks.

Discussed several times in past posts like this one for example.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Dashboard-Administration/Rouge-ghost-device-showing-in-firmware-page...

Ryan

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

Thank you very much for the insight, Ryan. Much appreciated!

Patrick

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.