Create wireless users from a file

SOLVED
Mju
Here to help

Create wireless users from a file

Hi there

Is there any way to import users from a file.

I have a event where i need to create 2000 users, connecting to a wireless network.

Mvh Mickey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Mju
Here to help

Hi there

I find a solution with a MS NPS server and one SSID with Vlan override, and created the users in AD in different groups.

Mvh Mickey

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
GaryShainberg
Building a reputation

Hi there,

The answer is no - well from the dashboard that is, I have it on good authority that support can do it but have never tested this.

Its a feature, that over the years I have requested many times and for some reason always falls on deaf ears.

Whats ironic is you can export a list of users to a CSV file.

The best option as this is not available, is to create a splash page either with "Splash Access" or another provider, alternatively if you are any good to PHP/Java do it yourself and get people do do a very simple registration process.

The other alternative is to to the Meraki splash page with simple registration and use SMS (via twillio, which is built into the dashboard) to do the same

CTO & Solutioneer
CMNA, CMNO, ECMS2
SNSA, SNSP
~~If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.~~

Hi Gary

I think i will need to have a external Radius server.

Can anyone recommend a Radius server that is easy to install and mannage ?

Mvh Mickey

GaryShainberg
Building a reputation

Perhaps,

There are a few radius server options - 

www.foxpass.com

jumpcloud.com

https://www.ironwifi.com/ - this one looks interesting and well priced

https://freeradius.org/ - this is the mother solution and in one hand the best in the other its a DIY solution

Hope this helps

-G

CTO & Solutioneer
CMNA, CMNO, ECMS2
SNSA, SNSP
~~If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.~~
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you considered configuring an SSID for pre-paid billing, and then just printing out 2,000 pre-paid tokens?  You can make the value $0.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Splash_Page/Configuring_a_Prepaid_Card_Billing_SSID#Generating_P...

Personally if it was me, I think I would just make it open authentication (assuming it is only Internet access) and forget authentication.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you considered configuring an SSID for pre-paid billing, and then just printing out 2,000 pre-paid tokens?  You can make the value $0.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Splash_Page/Configuring_a_Prepaid_Card_Billing_SSID#Generating_P...

Personally if it was me, I think I would just make it open authentication (assuming it is only Internet access) and forget authentication.

+1 for "prepaid billing" mode. Despite the name, there is no need for actually implementing billing.
Basically you pre-generate "prepaid" card PINs and configure the network to honor them for X hours/days of access. Very similar to how most hotels issue you a unique code that is only good for the duration of your stay.

Alternatively, check out the Dashboard API - you should be able to script a bunch of cURL (or Postman, etc) calls to create all those users. I haven't done Meraki-auth before, but I believe they need to be org/network admins with access level set to None.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Alas the API has no method to create guest users.

Uggh. Then you'd have to reverse engineer the website's calls to try that method.

...Or prepaid cards 😉

Mju
Here to help

Hi there

I find a solution with a MS NPS server and one SSID with Vlan override, and created the users in AD in different groups.

Mvh Mickey

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.