Configuring MR33 for large Deployment

SOLVED
SEANK5
Here to help

Configuring MR33 for large Deployment

We are going to be deploying close to 900+ MR33's and will need to assign static IP addresses to each.

Is there an easier way of configuring them versus hand keying each change in the dashboard for each device.

We have all the information in a spreadsheet along with serial numbers and mac address, and it would be immensely more efficient if we could in some way upload the changes that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

Have you looked at the Bulk Network Creator tool?  Organization -> Bulk network creation

You can download a sample spreadsheet from that page, update with all of your information, and upload the spreadsheet.  It will geo-code your location addresses, create the networks, and add your access points.

The following fields are supported:

Network Name

Serial (device/AP serial number)

Network Tags

Name (device/AP name)

Tags (device/AP tags)

Address

Notes

Static IP

Netmask

Gateway

DNS1

DNS2

VLAN

If I remember correctly, any omitted fields are automatically ignored.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Markus
Here to help

Hi,

you can do it via API.

For 900+ AP's that's worth the effort.

https://documenter.getpostman.com/view/897512/meraki-dashboard-prov-api/2To9xm

DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@MarkusWhich API call are you using to add in a static IP to a MR?

You can try to use PUT device config

https://documenter.getpostman.com/view/897512/meraki-dashboard-prov-api/2To9xm#d4a122ee-0679-dda7-d7...

I am not sure if lanIp is supported as PUT but it is in GET for sure. So maybe worth a try.

Anyway, I would not recommend to use static IP‘s.

What is your reason for that?

HodyCrouch
Building a reputation

Have you looked at the Bulk Network Creator tool?  Organization -> Bulk network creation

You can download a sample spreadsheet from that page, update with all of your information, and upload the spreadsheet.  It will geo-code your location addresses, create the networks, and add your access points.

The following fields are supported:

Network Name

Serial (device/AP serial number)

Network Tags

Name (device/AP name)

Tags (device/AP tags)

Address

Notes

Static IP

Netmask

Gateway

DNS1

DNS2

VLAN

If I remember correctly, any omitted fields are automatically ignored.

Outstanding!

Created a Template off of our current Test Network, and the Bulk Network option appeared. Will need to rearrange my spreadsheet some, but then we should be good to go.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Why are you using static IP's?  That is a very painful way of doing it.  If it is because of RADIUS, why not use a prefix list in the RADIUS server instead of the individual IP addresses?

I can't remember the last time I statically configured an access point.  It is just not something that is needed anymore.

No DHCP at the locations these are being deploy to.    

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Bummer, that is a real shame.

I don't enjoy it either, but its a security requirement for the given environment these are being deployed into.

Which also means that each AP will have to be unboxed and connected to our Test network (which does have DHCP), so it can pull down its config, before being shipped out.

How do you bring them online then?

(they need an IP to download the config)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.