Co-Term Licensing calculations

Solved
Takis_Samanis
Here to help

Co-Term Licensing calculations

Hey experts,

I need your help with this:

So, I've got some Meraki devices in the Co-term model, and they're about to expire in a few days. Here's the list:

• 2x MX67
  • 2x MS225-24P
  • 2x MS350-48
  • 3x MS350-24
  • 23x MR

Can I extend the co-term expiration date by adding licenses for devices I don't actually have? Like, can I get licenses for MS130 even though I don't have those devices in my inventory? Since I don't have those devices, the licenses won't ever be claimed and they will not be included in the calculation of the exp date, right?

1 Accepted Solution

You are mistaken, see what the note says:

The organizational co-termination date does not depend on the current device count, but rather the license limit. Removing devices from a network or organization will not impact the co-termination date.

Adding a new license will contribute to the calculation regardless of whether or not you have the device in inventory.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suggest you read the documentation, you can also use the calculator in the link below.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Using_the_License_Calculator

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_Co-Termination_Licensing_Ov...

The Cisco Meraki Co-Termination licensing model works on the basis of co-termination, which means that for any given organization, regardless of how many licenses were applied or when they were applied, the license expiration date for all licenses claimed to that organization will be exactly the same. This is accomplished by averaging all active licenses together and dividing by the license limit count of devices in the organization.

For example, suppose an organization had two separate Enterprise AP licenses, one license for 2x APs spanning one year (365 days) and another for 1x AP spanning five years (1,825 days). The co-termination value would be calculated as ((1825*1)+(365*2))/3= 851 days total for all three APs. So assuming all three licenses were applied on the same day, the organization would have a co-term date of 851 days from the start date of the licenses.

If the licenses were not applied at the same time, for example if the five-year license was applied halfway through the one-year license, the co-term calculation will take that into effect. In this case, the calculation would be ((1825*1)+(182*2))/3=730 days total for all three APs.

Note: The organization co-termination date does not depend on the current device count, but rather the license limit. Removing devices from a network or organization will not impact the co-termination date.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Hello, thank you for providing feedback.

I've reviewed the links you shared, but I'm still unclear about the role of device count in determining the co-term date, as it seems to be included in the calculation.

Based on the initial part of your response, I gather that licenses need to be applied or claimed. The formula includes the product of the device count and license term. Therefore, it seems adding licenses that haven't been applied should not contribute to the formula.

Could you please confirm this understanding?

You are mistaken, see what the note says:

The organizational co-termination date does not depend on the current device count, but rather the license limit. Removing devices from a network or organization will not impact the co-termination date.

Adding a new license will contribute to the calculation regardless of whether or not you have the device in inventory.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Yes, licences need to be claimed into an Organization to count  (bear in mind some customers have multiple Organizations, so we don't add anything for you).

You could claim licences that you have already purchased, for devices that you don't actually have and the likelihood is that this will extend out your co-termination date.   Bear in mind though this is not recommended;   the devices you don't have will also be drawing from the pool of time - so it's costing you money!   By far the best thing to do, if your co-term data is approaching, is to plan for a renewal.   As you're in co-term you will need to ensure you include, in your renewal order, a license for every device you want to carry on working, after the renewal is applied.    Assuming all your listed devices are working - and you want to keep them working - you'd need the licences listed below, for either 1, 3, 5, 7 or 10 years.   (note there's built-in cost savings in multi-year).   Make sure you get the correct license level for your MXs!   If your two MX67s are a warm spare pair, you only need one license - though this will show up in the 'Current device count' column of your Organization > License info page

• 2x MX67
  • 2x MS225-24P
  • 2x MS350-48
  • 3x MS350-24
  • 23x MR

Thanks a lot. Very helpful as well

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is why I like per device licensing, it's easier to work out exactly where you stand, it seems like Meraki don't like this though because the list time I tried to convert an Org I was told to contact support and support then said the account manager had to approve it and that got not where...

Strange, I always converted without needing to get in touch with anyone.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.