Clients not reporting, "strange line in config"

Solved
DBMAdmin
New here

Clients not reporting, "strange line in config"

All of my clients stopped updating as shown on the SM Dashboard two days ago, February 12th. Clients that were online and connected at that time continue to show as online in the Systems Manager - Devices tab. Devices have not been able to initiate a new connection since then, and some of the devices shown as connected for the past 24 hours have in fact been disconnected overnight. Those devices that show as active, and are in fact active, can be accessed as they are supposed to be: list processes, start remote desktop, etc. Obviously, the devices that show as active and are not cannot be connected to, nor can the devices that are in fact online, but not shown as active. I can see in the log file (m_agent_service.log) that the connection fails, and the error "strange line in config" is reported where previously there was a curl call to report the device as online to the Meraki System Manager.

Unfortunately, I am a grandfathered in Free 100 client, so I have no access to Meraki support.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? On my end nothing other than Tuesdays Microsoft updates has changed, certainly not the Meraki Agent. Is there perhaps some sort of system wide problem?

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice.

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You are in a difficult position.

Chances are if you wait and do nothing the issue might get resolved through a software update.

The only other option is to buy some piece of Meraki kit (which gives you support on the Free 100 licence) or buy actual System Manager licences.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have any other Meraki kit in your organisation?  If you have any other kit then you can still get support.

No other Meraki products. Just a one man shop with about 45 laptops to manage. I did call support, and they answered after 45 minutes. The person was willing to try and help, but the Free 100 users have no customer number, so he could not find my information. Our configuration is very standard, and I run as much as possible in plain vanilla mode, so I fell quite certain that I did not change anything on my end. It was patch Tuesday, but if that is related I would expect someone else to have a similar issue.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You are in a difficult position.

Chances are if you wait and do nothing the issue might get resolved through a software update.

The only other option is to buy some piece of Meraki kit (which gives you support on the Free 100 licence) or buy actual System Manager licences.

Look like it just took a little nagging! At 2:00 PM it seemed to correct itself, and a bunch of devices are reported as being online as of that point.

Thanks, PhilipDAth for commiserating!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.