Client licensing

Tigers
Getting noticed

Client licensing

Is there a licensing for clients i.e. devices, phones etc? Or are just the APs licenced?

Or to put it another way is the limit to the amount of simultaneous clients based upon a physical rather than a  licensing limit?

4 REPLIES 4
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

There are no client licenses for the Meraki MR access points, its just a per AP license. There are technical maximum limits of clients per AP, they can be found here, https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/WiFi_Basics_and_Best_Practices/Approximating_Maximum_Clients_per....

However, I wouldn't recommend designing a wireless network to these limits, it almost certainly won't work as you expect. I'd probably aim for between 20 and 30 clients per AP, but that depends on the likely clients types, traffic flows and the environment.

Tigers
Getting noticed

We have a large training room that might have 20-30 fellows in there occasionally. A few will complain that they could not get onto the wi-fi. I am just wondering if their was a licensing limit or is it time to install another WAP in there.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Nope, no licensing limit on the number of clients, so it may be time to install a new AP. Have a look in the dashboard at the wireless performance info and see if you can determine why they're not able to connect, check the number of clients connected to the AP to see if its high, and don't forget to have a look at the event log for the network too.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Tigers what AP model is it and what band(s) are being used.  If possible it can be better by making the SSID 5GHz only as you avoid the massive interference issues often found on 2.4GHz bands.

Having said that if the AP doesn't have too many nearby conflicting neighbours then leave both bands active.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.