Alert for manual Reboot

damienleick
Getting noticed

Alert for manual Reboot

Hi,

Is there any possibilty to log or have an Email Alert when someone manually reboot a device in a network 

(with the reboot button in tool)

We would like to see who is reboot device instead of search what could be the problem.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I do not believe there is an alert for that but you can check the "Organization/Change log" to see when any user makes a change.  

Enthusiast

@kYutobi  already check. Manual reboot are not logged in organization log or network log

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I do apologize @damienleick didn't notice that it wasn't logged.

Enthusiast

@damienleick Usually a reboot is the last resort for fixing equipment problems on high use networks, it sounds like the issue you are having would be better resolved with a discussion with staff.

@BlakeRichardson , while I agree that one should think twice about rebooting a device, I still think that it would make sense to log reboot commands. Whether they're given from the dashboard, the API, or maybe due to a firmware update. This is a shortcoming that could easily be implemented by the Meraki folks.

My advice, make a wish.

Yeah I know discussion with staff is a solution but you know support staff. If reboot correct the problem easly instead of troubleshoot the problem they always take the most easy solution

Dashboard is capable to detect change configuration an alert it by Email and provided the email of the user who have done the modification so, i'm quite sure is not a very complicated thing to log a simple "click" on a button.

@BrechtSchamp  I agree I wasn't suggesting reboots shouldn't be logged it to me it didn't sound like the answer to the OP's question. 

@damienleick  By what you have described if this is a constant issue it sounds like the restart is simply a temporary fix and not a solution. I would be putting pressure on your staff to investigate the problem instead of just rebooting the device no only for your benefit but for the clients using the network who are probably also being affected. 

I agree manual restarts should be shown in the event log though.

I have 4 colleges with their own IT staff. At times they will reboot a switch. The off line alert has a minimum of 5 minutes. Maybe Meraki should start there and change the time to seconds. Being in the education industry having a switch off line for longer than 5 minutes before we even get alerted is a bit much. I have all my Meraki switches in PRTG as a work around for now. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.