Routing resource in Azure through VMx

Don_Eli2
Comes here often

Routing resource in Azure through VMx

I have deployed a vMXin our Azure infrastructure in same Vnet as the resource but different subnets. The resource is able to communicate with the LAN of the vMX but i can't ping the resource from the vMX. I also created a route table such that all traffic to the internet from the resource will go through the vMX and associated the resource subnet with the route table but it doesn't seem to work. It seems i am missing something and support was not of much help. Please does anyone have a better idea on this. 

vMX subnet=          10.16.112.0/24, vMX IP 10.16.112.4

Resource Subnet = 10.16.114.0/24, Resource IP 10.16.114.4

Ping from resource(10.16.114.4) to vMX(10.16.112.4) =Success

Ping from vMX on dashboard(10.16.112.4) to vMX (10.16.114.4) =Failed.

Again my priority id to route the Resource traffic via the vMX thereby using the vMX public IP from Azure to access the internet.

1 Reply 1
dennis6101990le
New here

@Don_Eli2 wrote:

I have deployed a vMXin our Azure infrastructure in same Vnet as the resource but different subnets. The resource is able to communicate with the LAN of the vMX but i can't ping the resource from the vMX. I also created a route table such that all traffic to the internet from the resource will go through the vMX and associated the resource subnet with the route table but it doesn't seem to work. It seems i am missing something and support was not of much help. Please does anyone have a better idea on this. 

vMX subnet=          10.16.112.0/24, vMX IP 10.16.112.4

Resource Subnet = 10.16.114.0/24, Resource IP 10.16.114.4

Ping from resource(10.16.114.4) to vMX(10.16.112.4) =Success

Ping from vMX on dashboard(10.16.112.4) to vMX (10.16.114.4) =Failed.

Again my priority id to route the Resource traffic via the vMX thereby using the vMX public IP from Azure to access the internet.

Hello,

The issue seems to be with the return path for replies from the resource subnet to the vMX. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

Verify Route Table Configuration:
Double-check the route table associated with the resource subnet. Ensure it has a route for the vMX subnet (10.16.112.0/24) pointing to the vMX's IP address (10.16.112.4) as the next hop.

Check Firewall Rules:
Make sure there are no firewall rules on the vMX that might be blocking incoming traffic from the resource subnet.

Enable Asymmetric Routing (if applicable):
Some virtual network configurations might require enabling asymmetric routing on the vMX. This allows traffic to flow in one direction (resource to vMX) based on the route table, and the return path (vMX to resource) might need to be established dynamically.

Here are some additional resources that might be helpful:

vMX Setup Guide for Microsoft Azure: https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Installation_Guides/vMX_Setup_Guide_for_Microsoft_Azure (This guide details vMX deployment in Azure, including route table configuration)
Azure Route Table Documentation: https://learn.microsoft.com/HealthCareGov/en-us/azure/virtual-network/manage-route-table

If none of these steps resolve the issue, consider contacting a different support channel:

Cisco Meraki Support: While your previous interaction wasn't helpful, try reaching out again with more details about the specific error messages or troubleshooting steps already attempted.

I hope the information may helps you. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.