Azure VX100 upgrade to Azure VMX

Sharyn
Here to help

Azure VX100 upgrade to Azure VMX

Hi.
Meraki has informed us that we have to swap out the current VMX-100 with a new VMX image. The current virtual Meraki has many route tables assigned, using the current private IP and several site tunnels using the public IP.

My question is, is there a way to shut down the old Meraki and assign its IPs to the new one so I don't have to redo tunnels and route tables due to IP address changes? The old one has dynamic addresses for both public and private. I want to take those dynamic IPs, change them to static and configure them on the new Meraki image.

Thanks in advance
Sharyn

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You will 100% lose the public IP address.

You might be able to keep the private IP address.  Just my random experience that Azure often re-allocates the same private IP address after you delete a VM and then re-deploy again.

What if I were to reserve both the public and private IP for the old meraki that I'm replacing. Then I stand up the new one, turn the old one off, disassociate the ips from the old one and assign them to the new one. Will that work? I understand traffic will be temporarily halted between meraki changes but this will be done in the middle of the nite so shouldnt have a problem as far as traffic goes

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't believe you can do that.  You can not change the IP association with the VMX in Azure.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.