Anyconnect to VMX issue

Solved
Gareth_Parry
Here to help

Anyconnect to VMX issue

Hi,

I have successfully installed a vmx in azure and created site to site VPN's from all our Meraki MX devices to the VMX. i can access resources in azure from our sites and vice versa.

i have setup anyconnect on the VMX and can connect successfully however i cant reach any resources in azure or our sites.

Azure resource range 10.0.0.0/24 with resource trying to connect 10.0.0.4

VMX resource range 10.0.2.0/24 with VMX on 10.0.2.7

anyconnect range 192.168.44.0/24 with client routing to send traffic going to destination 10.0.0.0/24

when i connect the anyconnect i can see the route 10.0.0.0/24 in the route details of the anyconnect client

when i ping 10.0.0.4 from my client connecting via anyconnect i can see traffic in the vmx packet capture for interface internet but no response found.

Has anybody had this before and have they solved it?

thanks

Gareth

1 Accepted Solution
MartinLL
Getting noticed

Firstly, are 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.0.2.0/24 in the same VNET? If so routing between those resources are already in place by default.

Second. Did you remember to add a route to the route table attached to the subnet 10.0.0.0/24 containing 192.168.44.0/24 pointing to next hop NVA 10.0.2.7? Without BGP there is no way for azure to tell that you have that range as your client VPN range.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

How are your ACL settings on Azure?
What about the routing table on Azure?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hi,

could you expand more on this?

I have a route table attached to the subnet for 10.0.0.0/24 that has all my sites in it with the next hope IP as 10.0.2.7 (the vmx)

thanks

Gareth

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-network/manage-route-table

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/firewall/tutorial-firewall-deploy-portal

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Hi,

thanks but not sure what to do here. i have a route table for 10.0.0.0/24 do i also need to create a route table for  10.0.2.0/24?

for the VM on 10.0.0.4 i have allowed inbound and outbound traffic from 192.168.44.0/24 and 10.0.2.0/24

thanks

Gareth

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you can't get to your other sites over AutoVPN - have you included the AnyConnect subnet in AutoVPN?

Does Azure have a route to your VMX for the AnyConnect subnet?

MartinLL
Getting noticed

Firstly, are 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.0.2.0/24 in the same VNET? If so routing between those resources are already in place by default.

Second. Did you remember to add a route to the route table attached to the subnet 10.0.0.0/24 containing 192.168.44.0/24 pointing to next hop NVA 10.0.2.7? Without BGP there is no way for azure to tell that you have that range as your client VPN range.

Got it!

Both 10.0.0.0/24 and 10.0.2.0/24 were in the same VNET (under the subnet section) but i had not added 192.168.44.0/24 to the routing table. added and now working as expected. thanks for this

Having said that i'm now having issues with my site to site connections, since i set up the anyconnect VPN.

when on site i connect through the meraki site to site tunnels to a server in azure, i keep getting odd fails like "the connection has been reset" or when accessing sql "A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: Session Provider, error: 19 - Physical connection is not usable)'"

when i connect the anyconnect VPN whilst onsite (so the traffic goes through this and not the site to site connection), it works fine.

Cant see how those two are related. I assume that Azure know how to get to you Spokes? Same as with Anyconnect. You need to add your spoke ranges to the route tables as well.

yes it does. i already added the ip ranges of each of the sites to the route table with the hop via the VMX. i can ping the networks from a server in azure. its like its losing packets

Ok, keep in mind that SQL is very picky about latency. Other then that i dont think this is a Auto-VPN related issue.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.