Wi-Fi for a Remote Location Using MG51E & MR76 Without MX?

Solved
ChamaraW
Conversationalist

Wi-Fi for a Remote Location Using MG51E & MR76 Without MX?

We are planning to give Wi-Fi facilities for two remote locations. Can we connect the MR76 access point directly with the MG51 cellular gateway in order to provide internet without using an MX device? the plan is to secure the network using Cisco Umbrella SIG.

1 Accepted Solution
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You would certainly be able to get clients associating to the MR access point connected to the Internet via the MG, but I would describe the security as limited, based upon the client device setup;   they could use AnyConnect working with Umbrella, as you suggest, but that only really secures the traffic which the client initiates.  Even adding a Z3 (assuming a very low client count) would improve security considerably.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I believe not, they cannot establish mesh as far as I know and the MR would need a LAN connection in that case.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't see any reason that it won't work. You likely need a little PoE switch to power both the MR and the MG. But you could also use power injectors for this.

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

You would certainly be able to get clients associating to the MR access point connected to the Internet via the MG, but I would describe the security as limited, based upon the client device setup;   they could use AnyConnect working with Umbrella, as you suggest, but that only really secures the traffic which the client initiates.  Even adding a Z3 (assuming a very low client count) would improve security considerably.

ChamaraW
Conversationalist

Hi All, Thank you for the comments.
Hi Green,
Thank you for the suggestion, in this scenario client devices will be Zebra 5X series barcode scanners and a total of 8 scanners. I was planning to configure the Meraki Access Point to use Umbrella for DNS resolution and do the traffic filtering.
since this is a remote location I thought to try this method rather than backhauling, will this not be a good solution?

jbright
A model citizen

I have had this working for a while now. MR86 connected to an MG51E via an un-managed PoE switch. No problems.

And yes, I was part of the MG51 beta.

ChamaraW
Conversationalist

Thank you for your response.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.