Here to help

MG51 IP

HI, I need some clarifications on the configuration of the Meraki MG51
- is it not possible to assign the device an IP that I want? Alone :
xxx.xxx.xxx.1
xxx.xxx.xxx.65
xxx.xxx.xxx.129
xxx.xxx.xxx.193
- the MG51 is assigned a HOSTNAME like... dynamic-m.com?
- is there a possibility to link to a Dynamic DNS account?

thanks in advance

Fabrizio

13 Replies 13
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Check the installation guide:  https://documentation.meraki.com/MG/MG_Installation_Guides/MG51%2F%2FMG51E_Installation_Guide#Settin...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
FabrizioF
Here to help

Thanks, I already saw the link, but I can't find the answers to my questions

Please highlight them and send me screenshots?

Thank you
javalins
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

On the LAN side, you can change the subnet info under Cellular Gateways > Settings > Subnet Configurations. If you click under where it says Parent Subnet, you can edit the subnet info there.

As for DDNS, are you using a public static IP SIM card? On traditional CGNAT, there would be no way to create that inbound mapping since we are relying on a carrier intermediary device to perform NAT from a private address into a public one. Trying to understand the use case where you would need to resolve directly with the MG itself..

@javalins wrote:

On the LAN side, you can change the subnet info under Cellular Gateways > Settings > Subnet Configurations. If you click under where it says Parent Subnet, you can edit the subnet info there.

I've already done what you tell me, but it only allows me to assign the ip's I highlighted in the post above.
Were you able to assign other IPs other than the one I mentioned?

example assign IP XXX.XXX.XXX.250

Did you change the subnet mask as well from /26 to anything else? Short of that on the same page, if you scroll down, you can make Fixed IP Assignments and create Reserved Ranges if you decide to statically IP on the client side. 

do you have a screenshot please? I don't see the option to assign eg xxx.xxx.xxx.250

Thank you

Under DHCP & Subnets, you can create a static/fixed mapping, see the documentation here: https://documentation.meraki.com/MG/MG_Best_Practices/MG_Wireless_WAN_Dashboard_Settings.

That document also shows how to adjust the size of the subnet if you are using DHCP/Routed Mode on the MG.

adjust the size of the subnet, but only according to the scheme I mentioned initially
You can't put the ip you want

If you have screenshots..
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It always uses the first ip of that lan subnet for itself

javalins
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

^^ This!

If you want to change this behavior, you can create either a reserved IP range to force the availability of a different IP to be taken first that is not the first in the subnet. Or you can create a fixed IP address mapping under DHCP settings.

but you were able to customize the IP of the MG? On my dashboard it's impossible to do it I can only choose between /22 /23 /24 /25 /26 /27

Yes, you can modify the subnet pool including changing the actual subnet IP. Refer to the document I shared above. There is a screenshot in that document.

@ww wrote:

It always uses the first ip of that lan subnet for itself

yes

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.