MG51 - Can i manually switch the SIM the MG is using remotely?

RPM
Comes here often

MG51 - Can i manually switch the SIM the MG is using remotely?

Hi,

I have installed an MG51 and MR36 at a remote site.  The MG has VZW(SIM1) and AT&T(SIM2) SIM installed.   When it was installed the MG51 was using VZW(SIM1), and had ok signal strength.  over night, the signal strength dropped on VZW, and it switched to AT&T(SIM2).  Now the AT&T connection is shown as poor.  Can I manually swap the MG51 to use the VZW SIM?  

Follow up question, I changed the firmware setting to allow it to use beta firmware.  However, under the section where i can make selections for the cellular gateway firmware, it is greyed out.  The MG51 is running on v1.11 firmware at the moment. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes you can, are you sure that the SIM1 is working properly?

• If the MG41/51 only detects one SIM card, then the auto SIM failover is disabled internally.
  • If the MG41/51 fails over to the standy SIM due to a carrier outage/incorrect APN settings, then it will mark this new standby SIM card slot as active and mark the previous SIM card slot as standby. It's not possible to find out if the carrier outage on the previous primary SIM or the current standby SIM has been resolved when there is already an active ongoing data session, hence the MG41/51 will continue to treat the failed over SIM slot as active until it goes offline for more than 5 minutes.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MG/MG_Best_Practices/MG_Wireless_WAN_Dashboard_Settings

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
RPM
Comes here often

Yes, it was working fine for 2 days or so, then as you can see in the graph below there was an outage (not sure what cause was), then it swapped to SIM #2.  Now that SIM#2 is active, how do i remotely change it to SIM#1?

I had rebooted the router to see if it would swap back to the primary, but it stuck and is staying on the secondary...   Can i change the APN on SIM#2 to something invalid to force it back to SIM#1?   

Also..  regarding the firmware upgrade for this MG... 

I have selected that we can use beta firmware, but the MG section is greyed out, was hoping to try this upgrade as a possible fix, and in the event it works fine, start using this firmware on the other 20 MG's i'm about to deploy...

Thanks!

RPM_0-1689602954189.png

amabt
Building a reputation

On the MG Uplink page you can set which SIM is primary then it should swap back to the primary SIM (if active sim is not currently primary SIM). You can also try to reboot the MG to force it to go back on primary SIM (if an option).

amabt_0-1689633520733.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.