Limiting Cellular Traffic for MG51 used for Backup purposes

Solved
SeeBee69
Conversationalist

Limiting Cellular Traffic for MG51 used for Backup purposes

Hi, 

our client is considering using an MG51 for failover when his main internet line fails.

I am having trouble finding out what traffic we should expect to flow over the cellular connection when it is just in idle mode. Also, what options we have to limit that traffic. 

Anybody able to help?

1 Accepted Solution

@SeeBee69 the ports on the MG are designated as LAN ports. They are not designed in normal functionality to serve as uplinks for the MG, the uplink for the MG is the Cellular Interface. 

If the MX85 is configured for active-backup on WAN 1 and WAN 2, when WAN 1 fails, all traffic regardless will go over the MG.  When WAN 2 (assuming this is where the MG is connected) is in the backup state on the MX, no data outside of the MG's telemetry data would be traversing the cellular link.

Firmware updates are released by the PM team typically on a 6-12mo cadence for the MG, we won't know what enhancements are coming until we are closer to that release.  We just released MG 3.102 which contains some improvements and bug fixes, more info can be found in the release notes.

As for the 6-8MB it is in the document in a blue bubble about midway through.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
javalins
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The MG51 cellular gateway uses 6 to 8 megabytes a day of data for telemetry on dashboard and connection monitoring when the unit is idle. Any additional Cisco Meraki devices that are added to the MG51 may increase data usage further. Cisco Meraki products are cloud connected devices that report telemetry into Dashboard for network monitoring purposes. The usage will be reduced in future firmware updates.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MG/MG_Datasheets/Page_TitleMG51%2F%2F51E_Technical_Specifications

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you checked this link?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MG/MG_Best_Practices/MG_Wireless_WAN_Dashboard_Settings#Traffic_Sha...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
SeeBee69
Conversationalist

Thanks for the information, javalins. What I don't understand (I am not technical) - when there is an alternative route to the internet available via the MX85: Why can't I configure the MG to use that route for all telemetry data? 

Plus - what do you mean with "Cisco Meraki devices that are added to the MG51" ? I don't "add devices to the MG51" but I add devices to the network (typically to switches that link to the MX). Why would those devices send their telemetry via the MG51?

Last: What is going to come when with which firmware update?

Thanks again!

@SeeBee69 the ports on the MG are designated as LAN ports. They are not designed in normal functionality to serve as uplinks for the MG, the uplink for the MG is the Cellular Interface. 

If the MX85 is configured for active-backup on WAN 1 and WAN 2, when WAN 1 fails, all traffic regardless will go over the MG.  When WAN 2 (assuming this is where the MG is connected) is in the backup state on the MX, no data outside of the MG's telemetry data would be traversing the cellular link.

Firmware updates are released by the PM team typically on a 6-12mo cadence for the MG, we won't know what enhancements are coming until we are closer to that release.  We just released MG 3.102 which contains some improvements and bug fixes, more info can be found in the release notes.

As for the 6-8MB it is in the document in a blue bubble about midway through.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.