Group Policy Firewall blocking DHCP

Solved
Adrian4
A model citizen

Group Policy Firewall blocking DHCP

Hello,

Having a bit of an odd issue.

I am setting up a group policy for a identity PSK SSID which is supposed to block all open internet traffic, leaving it with just internal network access.

Using layer 3 rule, I have a Deny Any rule at the bottom of the list and then I tried to add Allow Rules for the various servers in the network that are required - however when I connect to the SSID I cant contact any DHCP and I get a 169 address.

I added an Allow rule that should allow the entire network 10.0.0.0/8  but I still cant access the DHCP server.
If I delete the Deny rule and try again - everything works, I get a proper IP etc.

Put the Deny rule back, and it all stops working. I know the rules apply top down but I swapped the deny and allow rules around just in case, didn't work either.

What's going on?!?

1 Accepted Solution

SORTED IT!! it was the broadcast address lol 255.255.255.255

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14
Adrian4
A model citizen

I removed the deny rule and connected, then did an IP config to check the DHCP server address and it is definitely in the 10.0.0.0/8 range

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What ip is the default gateway of you client? (When the deny  any is removed)

Adrian4
A model citizen

within the 10. range

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would take a packet capture to see what is blocked. AP Capture of the wifi side and the lan side

Adrian4
A model citizen

Good idea, I took a capture from our APs but unfortunately cant see much. I can see it associate with the AP and some multicast stuff but nothing like a smoking gun.

I added 169.0.0.0/8 and some multi cast ones like 224 and 239 out of desperation but they didnt help.

In meraki dashboard I can see the client getting lots of DHCP error - client reaches out by DHCP server does not respond.

SORTED IT!! it was the broadcast address lol 255.255.255.255

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you using Meraki DHCP? Have you trie to allow DHCP ports (67 and 68)? Have you tried with Bridge Mode for Client IP Assignment?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

the DHCP is a separate server. It is using bridgemode.

There is an Allow Any 10.0.0.0/8 rule - that IP range is the entire network.

It works fine if i remove the deny rule.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can you share your Group policy configuration?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Adrian4_0-1678883423106.png

VLAN tagging is enabled

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As I said these rules are stateless, so try the opposite, create a deny for the most specific things you intend to block and then leave the allow at the end.

I need to block all open internet access, while keeping internal network access (multiple VLANS) available.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure if this config will work. @GreenMan any idea?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Layer 3 firewall rules are stateless when configured within Meraki Dashboard group policies.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.