client is roamed ap to ather ap frequently.

aiiAIA
New here

client is roamed ap to ather ap frequently.

When user boot laptop pc and connect internet with access points, laptop don't connect inetnet.
When user boot laptop pc and connected internet Normally, but laptop is disconnected inetnet sometime.
When the same phenomenon occurs, I check Meraki dashboard. then Logs is reported client is roamed ap to ather ap frequently.
Clients are running Win 10.

why did occurs this phenomenon? 
I want to know how to solve.
3 Replies 3
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Clients roam to what they believe is the 'best AP available', typically based off signal strength and such.

For issues like this, the majority of the time you'll find either disabling client load balancing on the SSID, or updating the client wifi chip drivers make the most significant benefit.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try disabling the client load balancing, 802.11w and 802.11r.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Mark1337
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi There,

As both @Brash and @alemabrahao had mentioned, there are some things that can be changed within the Meraki Dashboard that can help with Client roaming concerns.

To Start: Client Roaming, is in fact, a client decision. Meraki APs, and APs in general can only use protocols (such as 802.11w, 802.11r) to facilitate client roaming.

With that baseline, you can follow a few things to make the experience much more enjoyable for your client's and their machines:

• As mentioned above disable 802.11w and 802.11r within the Wireless > Configure > Access Control, Under the Security section
  • It is highly recommended while using "External DHCP server assigned" under Client IP and VLAN, to disable Layer 3 Roaming, there has been a known issue with frame and packet loss on MRs that affect most current Firmware versions
  • Lastly, you can head to Wireless > Configure > Radio Settings > RF Profiles, then edit your in-use profile to disallow client balancing 

If you have any other questions regarding this response or how to complete any of the tasks, reach out to Meraki Support for further assistance.

Thanks,

Mark 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels