WiFi 6E Configuration (CW9166)

AnthonyI
Getting noticed

WiFi 6E Configuration (CW9166)

Hi all,

I'm looking to optimize my configuration of a CW9166 AP that I recently purchased. The purpose for the AP is to provide the fastest possible wireless throughput to WiFi 6E-compatible clients.

The CW9166 AP is using the out of the box configuration and is currently connected to a 10 Gbps switch (auto negotiating at 5 Gbps, which is the max port speed). I also have wired clients connecting to the switch that are negotiating at 10 Gbps. My throughput tests between various wired 10 Gbps clients shows that I can almost max out on each port (9.5+ Gbps in iperf3).

The setup for my 6 Ghz wireless testing is as follows:

• My laptop is WiFi 6E capable (Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX1675i 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter) and has a 2.5 Gbps (Killer E3100G 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Controller) wired port. 
  • My workstation has a wired 10 Gbps (Intel X540-T2 PCI-E) port.

Here are some tests that I've ran using iperf3, where the laptop is the client, and the workstation is the server:

• On a 5 Ghz wireless connection, I'm getting 250-300 Mbps from my laptop to the wired workstation.
  • On a 6 Ghz wireless connection, I'm getting 500-700 Mbps from my laptop to the wired workstation.
  • On a wired (2.5G) connection, I'm getting 1 Gbps from my laptop to wired workstation (10 Gbps link).

Since this is my first time working with WiFi 6E, I'm curious if the speeds on the wireless 6 Ghz connection are normal or below what they should be. I'm looking to receive some input regarding any recommended configurations, tests, or tweaks that I should be exploring to get the most out of this new AP.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4
WB
Building a reputation

Depends what you're looking for and where in the world you are. If you're looking to just test 'max throughput' you'll need to set channel width to 160 MHz and make sure you're close to the AP. Your 'max speed' might be less than the same test performed with a Wi-Fi NIC that is 4x4 not just 2x2.

If you're looking for what to deploy for production.. I'd say the majority of people will deploy it with 40 MHz or 80 MHz channel widths depending on whether their regulatory domain has opened up the full 1200 MHz worth of spectrum

AnthonyI
Getting noticed

I'm in northeast US (New Hampshire) and looking to squeeze every bit of throughput possible with this 6E AP. There will only be a limited number of clients (2-3 max) connecting to it at a time. 

The AP is placed indoors inside of a small warehouse type open area. The max distance from each client to the AP is about 30 feet without obstructions. 

Based on that, will setting the channel width to 160 MHz be the best thing to do to maximize throughput? Do I need to look into anything else (like RX-SOP, Transmit Power, etc.)?

WB
Building a reputation

That is a rabbit hole I probably couldn't answer entirely within character limits! A couple of points though:

- I wouldn't normally equate a warehouse environment with high-throughput client requirements. Is there a specific need to maximise throughput or is this just 'nice to have'?

- As always, recommend getting a wireless survey done of the area you are looking to work with. The more granular and detailed your requirements provided for the survey are, the more accurate it will be.

- Don't touch RX-SOP unless you know what you're playing with! Easy to cause problems with it hence Meraki's sizeable warning when you go to enable it.

- 160 MHz channel width should be fine due to the PSD changes, you're only running 1x AP in this area and assuming definitely no obstructions. Note the clients will need to support 160 MHz channel widths in 6 GHz as well though and don't blast TxPower at max!

- Do you have an existing AP providing 2.4/5 GHz coverage? FSPL characteristics between 5/6 GHz are quite similar so you might be able to just swap an AP out without moving it (survey can confirm). This page provides a nice chart showing the FSPL comparisons between 2.4, 5 & 6 GHz

AnthonyI
Getting noticed

To answer each of your points:

- The space itself is like a small warehouse but will be used to test moving devices (i.e., robots) that require high-speed connectivity. 

- I've looked at this document for site surveys. That said, I don't have any site survey experience or any tools/software for it. Do you recommend following the steps in there to conduct a basic site survey? Note: Our site is in the middle of nowhere - not sure if that factors in at all.

- Yeah the RX-SOP warnings are scary enough. Won't be touching that in that case 🙂

- I'll test it out at 160 MHz and see how much I can push through that compared to the default of Auto.

- Yes I have an MR70 providing 2.4 and 5 GHz coverage that's about 30 feet away. I've also disabled the 2.4 and 5 GHz radios on the CW9166 as I want it to only provide 6 GHz coverage.

I'm curious if you have any recommendations for conducting a site survey (for newbies) outside of that document that I linked above. Really appreciate your help here!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels