Single SSID implementation on a multi floor building - default VLAN challenge

zman
New here

Single SSID implementation on a multi floor building - default VLAN challenge

I have a multi floor building and want to implement a single SSID across all floors. Each floor will have about 10 APs. The building's network has been designed to route from the access layer. Meaning there is a L3 boundary between the access layer and the core. Put another way, the uplinks from the access layer to the core are not trunks, but L3 etherchannels. Every floor has a different set of VLANs per the design.

I understand how to set up tagging for the user VLANs, but how do I set a different default VLAN for every floor on a single SSID?

Thanks

zman

14 Replies 14
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I am new to Meraki, but what I am asking for is different default or untagged VLAN per floor on a single SSID. Not multiple data (user) VLANs for a single SSID. I don't see a way to configure multiple default VLANs on a single SSID.

Thanks for your response though.

zman

Configure tags for your APs. Example, add a tag name of floor_1, floor_2, etc tag to the APs based on their respective location. Tags can be whatever name you want to use.

Then on the SSID configure it for Bridged mode and in the VLAN tagging section configure tag to VLAN mappings. That is how you can define the users VLAN per AP/floor.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 10.42.26 AM.png

Ryan,

In your example the Default VLAN is 70. How do I configure multiple Default VLANs? Each floor in my design will have a different Default VLAN.

Thanks

zman

That line is the default for any AP not using a tag.

If you only need a single VLAN for the SSID you could honestly just leave the VLAN tagging disabled and then the SSID would be mapped to whatever VLAN is the native on the switchport connected to the AP.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the AP natively communicated in the untagged VLAN? Also let me give a little more detail. Here is the VLAN structure in the building:

1st floor

• data VLAN 710 (will be tagged)
  • AP VLAN 810 (Default VLAN, untagged)

2nd floor

• data VLAN 720 (will be tagged)
  • AP VLAN 820 (Default VLAN, untagged)

3rd floor

• data VLAN 730 (will be tagged)
  • AP VLAN 830 (Default VLAN, untagged)

on up to the top floor

So you see each floor is going to have a different Default VLAN for the same SSID. I don't see how that is possible in the portal but I am new to Meraki.

Thanks,

zman

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you saying that on each floor you have an L3 Switch? If that's true, why such a complex design?
If my understanding is wrong, do you have a topology to exemplify your network?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Yes, each floor is an L3 switch with an L3 etherchannel uplink to the core. My translation of your next question is do I have a diagram to share, I do not.

Thanks

zman

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The layer 3 roaming guide sounds almost exactly like your configuration.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/... 

L3 roaming is on the table, but we wanted to switch locally (HREP, flexconnect e.g.) Not sure how L3 roaming is going to help me overcome the multi default VLAN issue though.

Thanks

zman

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Tere is no issue.

Create a tag for each floor.  Apply the tags to every AP.  Now the AP nows which VLAN to use based on the floor.

Can you tag the default VLAN? I will try again.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The "default vlan" configuration is only used when for APs with no tag.  You shouldn't be needing to use it in your scenario.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Maybe we are talking at crossed purposes.

Do you mean the native VLAN?  The native is always untagged, by definition.  All other VLANs are tagged.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels