SSID tunneling

Solved
kima25
Here to help

SSID tunneling

Hello, 

to deploy SSID tunneling, how do you size the MX at the central site? depending on the number of SSIDs per terminal per site, if, for example, we have 100 sites and 2 WIFI terminals on each site, I need an MX that supports 200 tunnels?
do I have to add the other SSIDs in my calculation or do I just take the guest SSID?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

In this case it's not the number of clients alone - see @Ryan_Miles reply below.   It is true though that the aggregate number of WiFi users would have an effect on the Wireless concentrator MX, as would the amount of traffic each user is generating - hence the mention of the VPN throughput.

As Ryan said, given that any capacity issues on the concentrator would likely affect all the users, you really don't want to be getting close to maxing it out.   You can keep an eye on usage via the Org > Summary reports page, looking at the Network where the wireless concentrator MX is placed.

Don't forget too that you have the possibility of using traffic shaping on the MR access points to keep control of the traffic being generated by your client base.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What will determine is the number of clients.

IMG_20231013_091744.jpg

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

In this case it's not the number of clients alone - see @Ryan_Miles reply below.   It is true though that the aggregate number of WiFi users would have an effect on the Wireless concentrator MX, as would the amount of traffic each user is generating - hence the mention of the VPN throughput.

As Ryan said, given that any capacity issues on the concentrator would likely affect all the users, you really don't want to be getting close to maxing it out.   You can keep an eye on usage via the Org > Summary reports page, looking at the Network where the wireless concentrator MX is placed.

Don't forget too that you have the possibility of using traffic shaping on the MR access points to keep control of the traffic being generated by your client base.

I agree with him, but the number of clients must also be taken into consideration, and when I talk about the number of clients I am referring to the total number of clients, such as VPN clients, local clients, etc.

Don't you think it makes sense?

Generally (I think the vast majority of cases) it is the factor that should be taken into consideration the most.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Each tunneled SSID from an AP is a VPN tunnel. So, in your example of 200 APs and assuming each AP only has 1 SSID that is tunneled it would be 200 tunnels total and the minimum MX to support 200 site to site VPN tunnels is the MX85 per the MX Sizing Guide

My advice would be to go larger and not choose the MX85 which would be running at the max tunnel count right out of the gate. The other parameter to be aware of is VPN throughput of the MX. The MX85 is rated for 500Mbps. If you think your deployment will require higher throughput choose something larger than the MX85.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels