Question on Tagging in SSID Availability

merman01
Here to help

Question on Tagging in SSID Availability

Hi,

Im wondering if this is possible.

I want to create a VLAN and have some physical switch ports on it and in the same VLAN assign an SSID with 5 APs tagged to that one SSID. The wired and wireless devices would have the same IP range and use the same DHCP.

Is that possible and if yes any caveats to doing this.

I have a few devices changing to wifi from wired but want to maintain the same static IP addresses and have them all grouped together. 

4 Replies 4
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can have the same VLAN's available for both wireless and wired users.  However your pc has separate NIC's for wired and wireless connection and will connect on both simultaneously.and thus will not be able to have the exact same IP address.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The client will not receive the same IP on Wired and Wireless connection.

Clients configured with DHCP broadcast a request to the DHCP server and request network configuration information for the local network to which they're attached. A client typically broadcasts a query for this information immediately after booting up. The DHCP server responds to the client request by providing IP configuration information previously specified by a network administrator. This includes a specific IP address, as well as a time period -- also called a lease -- for which the allocation is valid.

When refreshing an address assignment, a DHCP client requests the same parameters, but the DHCP server may assign a new IP address based on policies set by administrators. DHCP clients can also be configured on an Ethernet interface.

A DHCP server manages a record of all the IP addresses it allocates to network nodes. If a node is relocated in the network, the server identifies it using its media access control (MAC) address, which prevents the accidental configuration of multiple devices with the same IP address. Configuring a DHCP server also requires the creation of a configuration file, which stores network information for clients.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

@merman01 mentions "same IP range", so I think he is only concerned with them getting an IP address in the same subnet, rather than precisely the same IP address.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure about that:  the sentence below throws me for a loop 😉

quote: I have a few devices changing to wifi from wired but want to maintain the same static IP addresses and have them all grouped together.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels