New MR 31.1.1 beta firmware - AP auto placement, RADSec, more 6GHz support etc.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

New MR 31.1.1 beta firmware - AP auto placement, RADSec, more 6GHz support etc.

Wireless firmware versions MR 31.1.1 changelog

Important note

New feature

Bug fixes

• General stability and performance improvements
  • Roaming-related issues with 802.11r configured SSID
  • In high-capacity wireless networks, APs may experience instability when the “Client Balancing” feature is enabled (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2, Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 6E APs)

Known issues

• Sporadic packet loss & instability on Layer 3 roaming & Teleworker VPN SSID's (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 and Wi-Fi 6 APs)
  • Clients may experience intermittent re-auth issues on MR45/55 APs
  • AFC not available on CW9163E APs

Other

• This version and subsequent MR 31.x.x are only supported on 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) and newer MR models. 802.11ac Wave 2 and older products will not upgrade if they are in networks configured for MR 31.x.x versions, and thus, the new features will not be available. The bug fixes listed below will also not apply to Wi-Fi wave 2 and older MRs.
9 Replies 9
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Somewhat confusing messaging about WiFi 5 wave 2 APs, are they supported or not...

IMPORTANT NOTE

• Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 MRs support

BUG FIXES

• In high-capacity wireless networks, APs may experience instability when the “Client Balancing” feature is enabled (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2, Wi-Fi 6 and Wi-Fi 6E APs)

KNOWN ISSUES

• Sporadic packet loss & instability on Layer 3 roaming & Teleworker VPN SSID's (Wi-Fi 5 Wave 2 and Wi-Fi 6 APs)

OTHER

• This version and subsequent MR 31.x.x are only supported on 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) and newer MR models. 802.11ac Wave 2 and older products will not upgrade if they are in networks configured for MR 31.x.x versions, and thus, the new features will not be available. The bug fixes listed below will also not apply to Wi-Fi wave 2 and older MRs.
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

older products will not upgrade if they are in networks configured for MR 31.x.x versions

okay , then what version will they be running ?  Older versions running MR30.X would have a notice like : 

• When configured for this version, MR12, MR16, MR18, MR24, MR26, MR32, MR34, MR62, MR66, and MR72 will run MR 26.8.3

I'm also confused

From what I can tell in this current beta there's simply no build string for the older APs. So, upgrading a network should just not do anything to those older APs. Perhaps in future beta versions it will assign the most current supported version(s) as most firmware releases do as you mentioned.

Ryan / SE - Networking

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The notice was removed and it seems that Wave2 AP now have a 'backup' version of MR30.6 ( which makes sense )

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

However the bug fix and known issues still includes WiFi wave 2...  Time for a second attempt!

Pretty sure nothing has changed. I still don't see build strings for any legacy platform. I also tested by setting a 28.5.1 network to r31 and the AP did nothing at all as expected.

Ryan / SE - Networking

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What will happen if I attempt to upgrade my firmware after the beta release of MR31.1.x, or if I have a scheduled upgrade?

After the beta release on May 21, 2024, the Firmware Upgrades page will let you set your network to MR31.1.x or newer. Affected devices will only upgrade to their latest supported version of MR30.x. The AP status page will correctly display the running MR30.x build. Documentation for the max-supported firmware will be updated to reflect the same. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Other_Topics/Cisco_Meraki_MR_Firmware_Restrictions_Overview_and_...

Doesn't seem to be the case from what Ryan could test

AnythingHosted
Building a reputation

The slow end of support for my MR33s, MR42s and MR52/3s ... 

BHC_RESORTS
Head in the Cloud

@Ryan_Miles is there any fix for the MR36H kernel panic bug in this release?

BHC Resorts IT Department
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels