Meraki Wireless Solution

Rizu
Comes here often

Meraki Wireless Solution

Hello everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well. I’m quite new to Meraki, and my company is currently in the process of developing our Meraki offerings for our customers. We’re starting with wireless solutions and I’m trying to determine if there is a standard SKU list for hardware and license for the most generic Wi-Fi solutions.

I’ve reviewed the SKUs on the Meraki website, but I’m having difficulty figuring out which options are best suited for small businesses. If anyone could point me in the right direction or share any high-level and low-level solution documents, I would greatly appreciate it.

Looking forward to enhancing my knowledge on Meraki!

2 Replies 2
MartinLL
Getting noticed

Licensing is quite simple. You got Advanced and Enterprise. Beyond that licenses are not model specific. 1 AP license covers one AP, simple as that.

As for AP models i usually settle for MR44 for indoors and MR76 for outdoors unless a customer has some specific requirements like Wifi 6E or super high density.

For deployment models i almost always go for the "default" mode of using VLAN taggs pr SSID. Read FlexConnect.

In some cases customers need all wireless traffic to be backhauled to a datacenter. For that you would need an MX located in the DC to act as a droppoint for this traffic.

I recommend that you go through Meraki FIT and CMSS certification track before you start deploying.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Meraki-Certification/ct-p/cmss

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Meraki-FIT/ct-p/merakifit

Hope this was helpfull.

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MartinLL's answer covers most needed.

I would also like to point out that there are two licensing models of interest.
- Co-term licensing: where every license you buy terminates on the same date, even if you add devices with licenses later on.
- Subscription licensing: where you simpler SKU especially if you are using other gear like switches and MX firewall appliances and where you can choose to pay automatically per period for your licenses or have a set period with pre paid licenses.

Other than that you choose your hardware according to the needs of the customer and 1 device = 1 license.

License tiers are enterprise and advanced in the co-term model or essentials and advantage in the subscription model.  The higher tier provices umbrella integration (DNS security), adaptive policy (segmentation via tags instead of VLANs, advanced wireless stuff like AI RRM and full blown intelligent capture).

The license SKU's usually come in 1, 3, 5, 7 and 10 year options.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels