Meraki Dashboard - Dashboard Throughput

RLEONARD-SJUSD
Conversationalist

Meraki Dashboard - Dashboard Throughput

When I test our MR-46 and MR-86 access points using the "Dashboard throughput" tool in the dashboard I am finding that I get results of about 250-275Mbps on a gigabit ethernet connection to a switch that is connected to the Internet at 10GB. Computers plugged into the same port on the switch will get the full GB of up and down speeds.  Interestingly if I change out the fiber transceivers on the switch to the internet from 10GB to 1GB the Access point will report throughput speeds well over 500Mbps.  

I can't figure out if the tool is wrong somehow or if something else is going on. This is reproducible throughout our setup. Gig speeds when tested with a PC (to speedtest.net and Google Speed Test) but no better than 275Mbps with an AP using the built-in Dashboard Throughput test...  dropping the uplink transceivers to 1GB from 10GB will increase the Meraki test speeds, but doesn't seem to change anything as far as the PC speeds...

I hope that makes sense.

We are running 10GBase-LRMs on a Cisco 2960-x, and 1GB to the Meraki APs via Cat6.

Thank you in advance for any ideas/tests you might have to offer.

1 Reply 1
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Imo you should not bother about dashboard throughput tool . You could use it as indication to like max 200Mbps with mx or ap. If you want to test throughput use a client. And for wifi you then would need something like 80 or more MHz channel and client supporting 3 spatial streams

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Throughput_test_to...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels