MX450 Performance capability

Solved
rsage_voda
Getting noticed

MX450 Performance capability

My customer currently has 2 HA pair of MX450 acting solely as wireless concentrators. Due to a DC move they have questioned can these be consolidated into a single HA pair. 

They have approximately 600 AP's with each AP supporting on average 5 tunnelled SSIDs. So approximately 3000 tunnels teleworker/roaming tunnels, split across the two HA pair. I am not clear as to what the difference is between these tunnels and a site to site tunnel as teleworker/roaming tunnels are not mentioned in the MX450 datasheet. 

The MX sizing guide talks of a maximum of 5000 site to site VPN tunnels with a recommendation of 1500.

I presume this is based on CPU and or memory of the device. Neither of which seem to be available on the dashboard or via the API.

Does anyone have an relevant experience.

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

A SSID tunnel should be considered the same as an AutoVPN (site to site) tunnel and therefore the same sizing guidelines would apply.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

A SSID tunnel should be considered the same as an AutoVPN (site to site) tunnel and therefore the same sizing guidelines would apply.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does anyone have an relevant experience.

There is no way someone is near the advertised number of tunnels or throughput. 

MX450 is long dead over 1.6-1.7 Gbps or 400K PPS. 

So 5000 Tunnels with 0-5Kbps maybe.

mlefebvre
Building a reputation

"Does anyone have an relevant experience."

Yes, and I would heavily recommend against consolidation here.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

At your scale, you would have a Meraki Account manager.  I would engage with them and ask for an engineering resource (they could probably get a pre-sales engineer to help).  Seek advice from them.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels