MS Teams Dropouts on roaming

r0ssc0
Here to help

MS Teams Dropouts on roaming

We have 802.11r enabled for fast roaming, but we are still getting MS Teams Dropouts when roaming occurs.

As we have Client balancing enabled, this is causing a lot of roaming to balance load(active load balancing).

We are planning to turn off Client balancing off to prevent this occurring(passive load balancing).

Question is will the AP's require a reboot to apply the new radio profile settings

7 Replies 7
r0ssc0
Here to help

I am thinking no, but just want to check before making this change in the middle of the day.

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Changing radio settings doesn't require a reboot of the AP.

I don't believe changing client balancing impacts connected users but I've never tested.

I'd suggest making the change out of business hours just in case.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What AP are you using ?

What firmware version are you running ?

What kind of SSID ? WPA2-Enterprise ?

What devices are you using ?

What Wireless NIC cards ?

Any relevant info in the roaming client page ( https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Client_Roaming_Analytics#:~:text=With%20the%20introduction%20of%.... ) 

r0ssc0
Here to help

MR56

Current version: MR 29.5.1

Encryption802.1X with custom RADIUS
Sign-on methodNone
Bandwidth limitunlimited
Client IP assignmentLocal LAN
Clients blocked from using LANno
Wired clients are part of Wi-Fi networkno
VLAN tag 170
VPNDisabled
Splash page 
Splash page enabledno
Splash themen/a
r0ssc0
Here to help

Client devices Lenovo laptops and MS surface

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Wouldn't be surprised that you are hitting a know issue with Microsoft/Intel with 802.11r. 

Do you have any logs in Wireless Health that indicates an issue with the roaming ?

r0ssc0
Here to help

The only indication we have is that there is a roam event in the logs and teams meeting takes a hit at that time.  I have turned off client balancing and it seems to have stabilised some what, although one still had a roaming issue with a  surface today, so I have changed the roaming aggressiveness down to low/medium on that device.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels